ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Wow - It lasted this long?!?

I'm amazed that your clock lasted this long. They generally are only good for about 15-18 years. You can buy a new one through Motorsport Auto 800-631-6331 but they are expensive. don't waste your time with a used one. It won't last long. I know one guy who used the face and the hands and replaced the original Z clock mechanism with a battery powered digital. He ran the wires over to the glove box and mounted the battery holder there so it would be easy to change out. That was the approach I was going to take until I installed a radio that has a clock in it. Nowmy clock is exactly right twice a day and will probably stay that way.
Phantom, '77Z

·
Registered
862 Posts
> I need a clock for a 1976 z, it stoped.
> I took it apart and everything
> looked fine, I also checked
> voltage to it and it was good too.
The clocks get dirty over time and quit working. Take the clock out of the car and soak it in a jar of kerosene overnight, let it dry completly, then install it. I've used this on 4 different clocks (all 240Z's but the 280Z is simular) and all of them are still working today (its been over 2yrs or more since I cleaned the last one).

·
Registered
107,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
> How hard is it to get a clock out and how is
> it done?

Anybody tried to put a 280zx digital clock in there Z I have a couple junk Z's and was wondering if that would work. Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
> How hard is it to get a clock out and how is
> it done?

Easy--all you need is a regular phillips and a ratchet type offset phillips.

Remove the air vent panel and unplug the map light connector. Remove the plastic air channel from the hoses.

You can now access the clock(or any of the other gauges)---you need the offset screw driver to loosen the metal strap that holds the clock in place. Unplug it and voila!

Incidentally--I got a used 280Z Quartz clock for my 260z and it works beaaaautifully.(almost 2 years now)

Forget the external battery job from Motorsport---you can get a used one from a junkyard cheap or have the old one rebuilt by a clock repair shop.

·
Registered
212 Posts
> I need a clock for a 1976 z, it stoped.
> I took it apart and everything
> looked fine, I also checked
> voltage to it and it was good too.
I also own a 76 280z in which the clock didn't work. The magnet quit working.
I went down to my local junkyard and pulled a clock out of another Z. I tested it by hooking the clock leads to a battery to insure it worked. It did but intermintley. I opened the clock to find the cog had a missing tooth. I purchased it for $5.00 and changed the defective parts with the original clock. It's been working since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.