ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a solution to an evil little problem I've been having.

Sometimes when I back off the throttle quickly, the idle will briefly drop below 800, sometimes as low as 500, for just a second before it kicks back up (may be a BCDD adjustment issue). Well, sometimes it stalls when this happens. I notice that when it stalls, I hear a clicking under the dash, in the area of the FI relay.

After putting up with this for a while, I decided to track it down. All the usual stuff replaced (filters). All the usual stuff checked (sensors, pressure). Engaged brain and decided to look at the AFM for giggles. Mine is a rebuilt, done in 94, been working fine.

Popped the cover off, and noticed that the fuel pump safety circuit engages well past the opening of the flap. Meaning, the fuel pump shuts off ABOVE 0 rpm. I never noticed it because my idle rarely drops below 800. Readjusted the tangs on the contact, and now the circuit breaks as soon as the flap moves slightly open. Integrity of the saftey circuit is maintained, and no more clicking of the FI relay, and no more dead engine at stop light.

Maybe this will help someone else with an earlier FI Z (77 and earlier).

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.