ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....I wanted to clean up my car, and I was considering polishing the intake plenum, painting my rotors, and basically shining up the entire engine bay. How hard are these things to do? what's the best way to go about doing them? and what dangers are exposed to my car when attempting to do this? Also what are some of the easiest/cheaper ways to get the engine bay looking uber clean? Thanks

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
to clean an engine bay, use lots and lots of simple green, a tooth brush/rags, and even more elbow grease.

i have found, and i might get flamed for this one, but its cheaper for me to take it too a detail shop, i have the vert detailed right before i got hurt, for 60 bucks, and they did everything, took out the seats/shampooed the carpet, detailed the engine, 2 coats of wax, etc..etc..., but my dad has had his truck done at the same place and it cost him 130 bucks. it just depends on car and what you want done.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
search button is your friend!!

BUT, I'll start you off.

As for general cleaning short of engine removal. . .most will suggest using simple green and some toothbrushes to get all the gunk off and shined up. Some say don't ever spray the engine with water because they've had electrical mishaps from it. I don't use high pressure spray, but have occasionally rinsed the engine down with no problems.

Polishing the intake plenum is a chore and a half. Ridiculous amount of sanding/grinding/polishing. . .most say not worth it. Or if you want one, just buy one aftermarket.

I hope to God you mean painting your calipers and not your rotors. As for CALIPER painting, clean them up really good with simple green or other cleaner, then use whatever color high temp paint.

hope that starts you off, you may try the search function still to further my tidbits

Post Edited (Jan 23, 11:09pm)

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
<http://store.yahoo.com/sgpracing-store/sgpracshowpo.html>

i forgot to add this link, about polishing, again unless you really feel like doing the work, which trust me, from what ive heard you wont, you might want to look into this kit.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haulnazz15, yes, calipers, my mistake, although.......painted rotors........hmmmm......~stares off into space~

thanks for the link ssm86, but a little too much $$ I'll just take some simple green to it I suppose. Thanks all

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
My suggestions:

1. Clean up as directed above

2. Remove water pipes and polish them. Pretty easy using a dremel with polishing pads and compounds. A couple hours tops

3. Remove timing belt covers and fan shroud, sand, sand and sand some more working up from 250 to 800 grit. Primer, sand some more, primer, sand some more. Paint, paint, clear coat. A few hours. Remember, the quality of the preparation will determine the final quality

4. Get a SS bolt kit, they make a big difference! Or go to your local Ace Hardware and get SS bolts to replace those on the engine that are visible (coil pack brackets, etc.). and the ones holding the fenders. Pretty cheap too.

5. Remove all the brackets you can that are that kinda olive drab green color, polish using the dremel. For example the cruise control bracket, coil pack brackets, radiator brackets, etc. Pretty easy to get to. Or you could remove the paint, sand, primer and paint gloss black. Can also polish bolts, such as those that hold the timing belt cover on, to an almost chrome look.

6. Remove the throttle cable cover, sand and paint. TwinTurbo.net sells the stickers that go on them in multiple colors, put them on then a few coats of clear. http://www.twinturbo.net/ttnetstore/store.aspx

7. Reroute the PTU, this is the electronic box on the passenger side attached to the timing belt cover. Secure it under the center nose panel

8. Sand, primer and paint with high temp paint the center hub portion of the rotors, the parts that the pads do not touch IOW...

Some nice stuff here too that is reasonably priced.
http://www.splparts.com/Parts/Z32/Accessories/Dressup/default.asp

Trust me, my engine (pics below) did not look like it does now when I got it! It is not really that clean right now, the chrome and polished parts have dust/lint/smudges all over them.

LOTS of elbow grease

I have some water pipes and timing belt covers for sale in classifieds at Twin Turbo.net You could get them, polish, paint, etc. in order to reduce your downtime.

Hope this helps!

PS... If you decide to get colored vacuum hoses get QUALITY ONES! i.e. Baker Products or HoseTechniques. The Pep Boys ones are crap and will collapse under even moderate vacuum.

Post Edited (Jan 24, 3:29am)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.