ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have suggestions on cleaning my stock Z wheels and *keeping* them clean? They're really nasty, SuperClean doesn't do a thing for them. I"ve heard of using lots of elbow grease and some sealer, but I'm definetly not one for hard work (look at me writing this post while i'm at work) and I"m not so sure about the sealer - what would I use etc.

Suggestions?
Thx
S

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sue, I've cleaned up 14" six spoke, 14" four spoke and 15" turbo snowflake wheels, but did it the hard way. lots of elbow grease; fine (#00 & #0000) steel wool soaked with laquer thinner or acetone to take off road tar, grime and old flakey clearcoat. The outside part you can make shiny by polishing with rubbing compound, polishing compound, chrome cleaner, then a Blue Coral product that polishes aluminum/mag wheels. The inside part of the snowflakes I painted with three coats of Rustoleum (after lots of work removing corrosion and flaked paint) I use Eagle One Wheel Cleaner - All Wheels formula, which does a good job of getting off the brake/road dust.
My wheels were pretty bad, maybe yours won't need so much work, but I don't know of any short cuts, except to find a wheel shop that will clean and polish (for cash money) your wheels.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thing is to get rid of the clearcoat which I am told takes Aircraft quality stripper. Then work on the polishing by hand. The colored parts can be painted any color and then apply a good bit of clear coat..

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I own and Run I Professional Car Detailing business in Southern California and I also own an '82 280ZX
I had to remove the Clear coat on my snow flake wheels with Aircraft cuality striper, you can find it at a Automotive Paint Supply Store, in comes in Spray cans and runs about $6.00 a can one can is more than enough to do the four wheels, removing the Wheel from the car would help but is not necesary, I found that leaving it on the car makes it more difficult to reach inside the holes and you can miss spots that way, using proper hand and eye protection is a must when working with products as paint striper, always make sure to use latex gloves and long sleeves as it is very corrosive to the skin and can make nasty burns in a matter of minutes
As someone said better be safe than sorry!!
Follow up to clean the shinny areas of the well with some 00 or 000 steel wool diped in some blue Magic Metal Polish or Mothers ( theres many brand names available I personally like those two) making sure you clean all of the black residue with a clean cloth,after the wheel is perfectly polished you can leave it alone or you could refinish It with a few coats of polyurethane clear

·
Registered
117 Posts
I did my wheels and just used stripper from Home Depot (came in a copper colored can). It removed the factory clear coat instantly! I then mounted the wheels back on the car, put a stiff metal polishing wheel on a 2hp angle grinder and went after them with metal polish (rouge - comes in bars). The wheels came out looking like they were chrome plated. Everyone has told me you cannot get a off the shelf clear coat to last and that you just need to clean up the polished wheels with a good mag wheel polish. So far so good - I also removed the valve cover and polished it out too it really makes the engine compartment look better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.