ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleaning Fuel Lines

586 views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  Unknown User 
#1 ·
Removed the fuel tank on my 76 and was full of rust -yuk-it is being cleaned and coated now. What has been used to clean the steel fuel lines of varnish and corrosion? I was thinking of filling the line with carb cleaner for any varnish build up, but am wondering about how to do the rust removal...has anyone done this??
Thanks in advance,
gary

#2 ·
RE: Cleaning Fuel Lines (long)

Hi Gary, I just went through this so I hope you don't mind that this is kinda long.

In the engine bay:
Take the fuel supply line and route it back into the fuel return line. (Simple loop - don't use the fuel filter)

In the passenger compartment:
The wires leading to the fuel pump run behind the passenger seat. Pull up the carpet and you should see 2 bullet style connectors. Pull them apart. Run wire from the battery to these connectors. (You will run the fuel pump this way) Don't connect them until you do the following.

Underneath the car:
Since you have the tank out, you should have 2 rubber lines at the rear of the vehicle. One goes to the Fuel pump, the other is the return line. You need acetone for this trick. Get a container and fill it with the acetone. Get another container ( I used an old clean and empty gas can) and run the return line into it. Secure it cause you're gonna run outta hands. (unless you have a friend helping) Place the line to the fuel pump into the acetone and start the fuel pump until the acetone is run dry. Check the return gas can. Dirty? Empty it and clean it. Repeat until clean.

#4 ·
<b>What a great idea!</b>

Steve, you da man! I can't tell you the backbreaking contortions I've gone through to clean fuel lines before. I've even taken the **** things OFF, fer chrissake. I knew there had to be an easier way to do it. Thanks for letting us know what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.