ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. My '86 300zx 2+2 na is showing some idling issues and has some poochy off the line acceleration. It seems to run better as it slowly gets warmer here in Iowa. I've seen a post that says you can clean the carbon trace out of the MAF. If done properly I can't see how this could do anything but good. However I couldn't find any detailed info when doing a search for [clean mass air flow sensor]. All I posess is the Chiltons total car care manual which sometimes is hideously vague in my opinion. Is there a good web site that will tell me how to do this? TIA

·
Registered
639 Posts
Can't help you on the cleaning of the MAF. But, where are u at in Iowa?

I'm 30-35 miles west of Cedar Falls/Waterloo.

Roger
Ackley, IA

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SE corner. Burlington/Ft. Madison area.

·
Registered
505 Posts
You're talking about the MAF sensor, at the air inlet duct near drivers headlight? There's an extremely fine wire in the air passage way protected by a screen on inlet and outlet of the air duct. It's so fraile, would not remove the screens to get at it. Clean the screens in place, and maybe the connector terminals, but go no further. A rebuilt one is $200 with core at NAPA, around $500 at the dealership. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
ZfurME,

I don't have the answer to your question but I would recommend buying the Haynes manual for your 300zx and sheving your Chilton.

I bought a Haynes a couple weeks back after having the Chilton for a few years and I have been kicking myself ever since. The Haynes focuses solely on the z31 and has been so much more helpful.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx-Not to change the subject but they were practically side by side on the shelf. I would have been kicking myself but I wasn't sure the other was any better. I assume that the writers get some sick sexual pleasure from being able to tell you things without telling you anything. I wanted to get the FSM but can't justify the expense yet. Maybe after I screw something expensive up....

"We've purposefully trained him wrong........As a joke."-Master Tang

·
Registered
639 Posts
Cool. Good to know there's Z faithful in the tall corn state.

Good luck.

·
Registered
657 Posts
if you called the dealer about the manual youd find out that they dont make it anymore... But there is a company that will photocopy it, make it into a book and ship it for $75. Not too bad for a FSM. well worth the investment.. And you wont find yourself at a dead end all the time. ie. in the haynes manual, if your trying to run codes it doesnt say anything about the mode selector on the ECCU. I had alot of fun with that.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
There's a MAF on ebay....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.