ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
The cig lighter on my '72 240Z fits very loosely and flies out of the dashboard when I give the car a little gas. I have suspicions it is not the original cig lighter. It has a little drawing of a cigarette and a plume of smoke. Does anyone else have this annoying problem, or do I have the wrong cigarette lighter?

· Registered
301 Posts
I kinda had the same problem, mine would go flying out when it was finished heatin up.

What you wanna do ( if you dont use the cig ligher, if you do be real careful or it'll get stuck and melt off like mine did ha ha ) Is take a flat head screw driver and bend out those little metal bars commin down so that they grab onto the housing. Its really not difficult to do.

P.S. The original cig lighter on mine melted cause i bent em to far and pushed it in and forgot to pull it out, so be REALY careful, Also i went and got the one with the smokinbg cigarete on it from the junkyard....cause it looks neat =)

Matt

· Registered
3,319 Posts
Actually, the part you should adjust is the female socket on the dash. What happens is someone uses some cigar lighter adapter to power some accessory and it bends the tabs in the female socket. I have an accessory that has done that to my Z, my Jeep and my wife's Honda. I use a small wooden dowel with the end shaped down like a screwdriver to re-bend the tabs back out.....carefully. If using anything metal in the female socket definitely disconnect battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.