ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you very much! I went pick up the car today and the mechanic told me after viewing the new (Used) differential that my old one was more than likely fine. He could not see a difference in the to. Does there have to be metal shavings present to mean that it is bad. How do you tell if it is bad? he did say the bearings were shot. they would not even rotate, he showed them to me. So anyway he is knocking off 500.00. If I could ask you guys one more question. My brother changed my spark plugs, wires and cap & rotor. Now the Idle jumps between 650 and 800 after the car is warmed up. Do you know why? Thank you Sweeties
Lisa

·
Registered
486 Posts
Lisa,
I am glad to hear that he figured out it was NOT the spider gears. Bearings sound MUCH more reasonable. About the idle, ask him and see what he gapped the plugs to. They should be .044, or 44 thou' I believe. Also, the spark plug wires may not be fully on either the coil, cap or plugs themselves. I can not really think of anything else wrong seeing that they are the proper parts, decent wires, etc.
Joshua L.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joshua

> Thank you very much! I went pick up the car
> today and the mechanic told me after viewing
> the new (Used) differential that my old one
> was more than likely fine. He could not see
> a difference in the to. Does there have to
> be metal shavings present to mean that it is
> bad. How do you tell if it is bad? he did
> say the bearings were shot. they would not
> even rotate, he showed them to me. So anyway
> he is knocking off 500.00. If I could ask
> you guys one more question. My brother
> changed my spark plugs, wires and cap &
> rotor. Now the Idle jumps between 650 and
> 800 after the car is warmed up. Do you know
> why? Thank you Sweeties
> Lisa

Thank You Josh.. I'll ask him those questions.

Lisa

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there doesn't have to be metal shavings for it to be bad. if the bearings are bad, and if you catch the problem soon enough, it won't wear the gears.

the idle problem sounds like the air regulator. they can cause funny idling problems just out of the blue. they only last 60,000 miles according to nissan. pinch the hose off leading to it with a pair of needle nose pliers, cutting off the air circulation. if the idles smooths out check for power and ground at the terminal. if you have both you need a new one.

-casper

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good news!!! That shows a mechanic that you can trust. The way to tell if spider gears are bad is by the color and the wear pattern on them.

As for the tune up, As has been stated, check the gap, and set the timing. Where did he buy the parts from? I have gotten a bad rotor before that acted up. I don't remember if it caused symptoms like that or not.

Chris

> Thank you very much! I went pick up the car
> today and the mechanic told me after viewing
> the new (Used) differential that my old one
> was more than likely fine. He could not see
> a difference in the to. Does there have to
> be metal shavings present to mean that it is
> bad. How do you tell if it is bad? he did
> say the bearings were shot. they would not
> even rotate, he showed them to me. So anyway
> he is knocking off 500.00. If I could ask
> you guys one more question. My brother