Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like oil and water....
Has anyone done anything in their cars to keep the darn choke lever from busting up the console? The console I had was destroyed from it. I got a used one in really good shape, and I'd rather not have the choke lever crack this console too. I was thinking maybe I could screw the lever to the metal underneath and slide the console over it...

Any other ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
That sounds like a great idea. I don't know why they didn't do it like that in the first place. It'd sure make removing the console a **** of alot easier to remove.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Z-therapy's 240Z tune-up video (#ZTV01) has a section addressing that very issue. It even shows how to make a seamless repair to a cracked console.

I have done it and it works. I cut a thin piece of metal that I riveted to the choke assembly and then screwed it into 4 existing holes on the console. The result is very strong and looks completely stock.

Your idea of screwing it to the tunnel sounds promising too if you can make a sturdy bracket.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I spot welded a 4x4 electrical plte to the old choke lever mount, then spot welded to the metal under the console. The drawback........if i want to remove the console i have to pull the whole choke cable out from the carbs. But the alternative was to through bolt to a mint looking console.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Hey FantaZ could you explain what you did in more detail, I know it may seem obvious but (duh!) I'm not getting it. Better yet do you have some pictures?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suppose that screwing it into the metal is as good idea as any so I guess I'll give it a shot before I destroy my console. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yeah escanlon, with the console removed you should see two screw holding the front of the metal ash-tray thing in place. Towards the front of the console there should be two plastic standoffs with holes. These will be the mounting points for the metal plate. I went to the hardware store and bought a thin piece of 12-gauge (I think) metal. I used a piece of cardboard to make a template. You will need six holes in the metal plate. Four for the mounting screws and two for the choke lever. I used a pop-riviter to attach the choke lever to the metal plate. Next using short self tapping screws I screwed the plate with the choke lever to the console.

To perform this operation, you have to remove the choke cables from the carbs (takes 5 min). You don't need to pull the cables all the way through the fire wall, you just need a little wiggle room. Also, if your ash tray slider door did not slide smoothly, you can place washers under the screws to give it a little more room to operate. I will take a picture tommorrow hopefully and e-mail it to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.