ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to get a chevy small block 350 in my 79 is it worth it and how hard was it? i have icq 11603581... what can you tell me..looking to talk with people that have one (chevy 350 280ZX)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,551 Posts
> i want to get a chevy small block 350 in my
> 79 is it worth it and how hard was it? i
> have icq 11603581... what can you tell
> me..looking to talk with people that have
> one (chevy 350 280ZX)

I can't tell you much about the swap. But I may be able to help with suggestions if you plan on modifying the Chevy motor before you put it in.

Ken
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,597 Posts
> i want to get a chevy small block 350 in my
> 79 is it worth it and how hard was it?

As far as how hard was it you might try emailing Ross or checking out his websites:

http://home.istar.ca/~zxv/index.shtml

As far as was it worth it, this is a very subjective area but I have ridden in his car there are probably very few cars that would compare to it this side of $50k.
($50k is where the C5's start )

Despite the wrong model that Jags book is still a very good idea

-Chuck
76 v8 Z
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,597 Posts
> i want to get a chevy small block 350 in my
> 79 is it worth it and how hard was it?

As far as how hard was it you might try emailing Ross or checking out his websites:

http://home.istar.ca/~zxv/index.shtml

As far as was it worth it, this is a very subjective area but I have ridden in his car there are probably very few cars that would compare to it this side of $50k.
($50k is where the C5's start )

Despite the wrong model the Jags book is still a very good idea

-Chuck
76 v8 Z
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
431 Posts
> i want to get a chevy small block 350 in my
> 79 is it worth it and how hard was it? i
> have icq 11603581... what can you tell
> me..looking to talk with people that have
> one (chevy 350 280ZX)

Jeff, are you concerned with emissions, or will this be strictly a track racer? I was talked out of it based solely on this consideration.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,597 Posts
> Jeff, are you concerned with emissions, or
> will this be strictly a track racer? I was
> talked out of it based solely on this
> consideration.

Hello Tim,
I am not going to pretend the emissions shouldn't be a concern but both Ross's and my V8 Z's have had no problem passing emissions tests as required by Vancouver and Seattle(Ross in Vancouver, me in Seattle).
My 71 350 block was rebuilt with 10:1 Cr, a Healthy cam and a Holley 4 barrel so I was convinced I would fail and have to rejet the carb to get it to pass. Not only was I wrong it did better than 86 Jeep.

Obviously you won't pass a visual test, but I know for a fact in Seattle they don't care- The day I took my car out was hot and I was having problems with the heating so I had the hood cracked during the test......

Jeff, Good Luck with your decision!
-Chuck

PS
Jeff, Don't let anybody convince you the conversion is cheap! At best the conversion could be called cost efficient - and then only if you use the base line of building a 300hp+ L6.

In the Jags book they do run thru a small cost list but it is incomplete.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top