ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw on the news where Chevy is putting black boxes (like in aircraft) in some of their cars. And it was used to convict a driver in a crash. He said he was not speeding when he hit the car and they pulled the info from the black box and it showed him going, I believe 71mph at impact. He didnt know the car was equipped with it. Surprise!!! I wonder how many other manufacturers will start installing them. It would be the first thing I would disable :)

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
old news. Pontiac had them in their trans ams 4 years ago and so did quite a few other cars. my daughters best friend was killed by a guy speeding at 120 mph in Florida in his TA 4 years ago when he broadsided her and killed her and her passenger. he said he was only going 60 and the black box said impact was 105. hes spending the next 40 years in prison.

·
Registered
877 Posts
this is news to me. should do some good. the only people who will complain are the idiots who think it's safe to do 130 mph on poorly lit roads at nights. and their logic to defend their driving on these dark roads is pure gold:

"I know it's safe because I can't see any other cars."

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I agree with tkr, what do you have to worry about if you're doing something legal..

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hear, hear, in all cars. They're not that expensive and they only hold the previous 24 hours in memory.

·
Registered
169 Posts
GM has had this in their cars since the late 90's. There is actually no "black box" or any kind of extra hardware that is put in the car. All the "black box" is, is extra memory in the computer to store the data, that's all. The only thing it records and saves is the few seconds before a crash occurs. Why someone would disable it is beyond me. It could exonerate you in the case of an accident.

I'm all for holding people responsible for their actions if the evidence is there to prove it. For example, a guy died in '92 when his Corvette ZR-1 hits a tree. The family says the airbag deployed when the car hit a pothole and caused the wreck. The Corvette's "black box", a generic version of what's out today, says the airbag deployed on impact just as it was supposed to. This data saved GM from paying out on a huge lawsuit. Therefore, the guy was held responsible for his actions.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The driver Brian refers to didn't need a black box to put him away.
There's just a tiny bit(sic) of difference when you look at a 60mph impact and a 105mph impact.

So ya'll think the government taking YOUR property without your consent or knowledge is a good thing.
How about downloading them by satellite daily.Then issueing tickets for all infractions?

Where do you draw the line?When the state has a "health worker" stationed out side your bedroom to make sure you use condoms?

You people are F*&kin' sheep.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
I can't wait until we are constantly monitored. Just imagine how safe we'll be when everyone is afraid to speed, jay walk, drink a beer, piss out side. Oh what a wonderful world.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
YES, dang it. i want the police to come and arrest people that are driving on public roads at 105+ mph. i want morons that drive ferarri's at 162mph off the road (even if they don't hit something this time).

public roads are PUBLIC ROADS and not racetracks. going tripple digits in a residential area is as dangerous as shooting a gun in the air. chances are that you'll be fine but you'll kill someone else that was just minding their own business.

Post Edited (Feb 28, 12:46pm)

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
containement cost too high? that's why you impound the vehicle and sell it off. they do the same with missused weapons, illegally gained property, etc. sell it off.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The gov't isn't taking YOUR property without your consent. It's your property as far as Ford is concerned, but if it's part of a crime scene, then the police have every right to look at it. They aren't downloading them by satellite. What a nut!!!

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
Totalitarian fascist state, HERE WE COME!

The masses are SCREAMING for it.

GROAN...

Full-time monitoring of every human would be acceptable IF the powers that be could be trusted. They CAN'T be. And the more power they accrue, the LESS they can be trusted.

I too would rather take my own chances rather than have the state monitor everyone's every move.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Onstar will email you when it knows you need an oil change. How do they know? The car tells them.... BMW will call you to schedule a service call when the THE CAR says it is that time. The info is already moving. most people think it's helpful, which it is. If you aren't doing anything wrong, then you have NOTHING to fear. If you are drag racing on a side road, then I hope the car emails the police and they come to your house and drag your a$$ out of bed for a night in jail...

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
i cannot believe how many people have no clue what "totalitarian fascist" actualy means.

this is not dictatorial, it's just enforcement. people that have a problem with laws being enforced are exactly the ones that fear better enforcement.

facist? nope.
you're confusing fascism with justice.
they are not the same at all.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
"There's just a tiny bit(sic) of difference when you look at a 60mph impact and a 105mph impact."

I do not think that is the proper use of sic.

"People should not be afraid of their government. Governement should be afraid of it's people." V for Vendetta - coming to a theatre near you soon.

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
To fascists, fascism IS "justice".

The people who scream "those who are law-abiding will have nothing to fear" are the ones who will insist on a more and more totalitarian regime, believing that absolute governmental authority and control can make them safe. It CAN'T. It can make them slaves, though...

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.