ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read somewhere in this group that someone had put chevy hubs on a Z. There was not a whole lot of detail but I am very interested in the swap. If anyone has any detail or more information I would greatly appreciate it. Also, has anyone seen a Mustang II front end in a Z, I was looking at my Hot Rod magazine and thought this also may be a route to go. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Jeff

·
Registered
743 Posts
I'm working on a design for a 4 lug to 5 lug conversion. It should be done in a few weeks. E-mail me personally for more details.

SpencZ

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've made spacers to put Chevy drum hubs with the stock Z disc on my 240Z. This way the disc bolts to the hub like the stock hub, and I can use the Toyota caliper swap. I did this because I have a shortened 12 bolt rear end, and I wanted an all Chevy bolt pattern for my Weld Rod Lite wheels.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why in God's green earth would you ...

Ok, I understand the desire for five lugs (although there are plenty of four-lug wheels out there), but you can drill out the Z hubs for a five-lug pattern.

And why go to all the trouble of swapping in a Mustang front end. The Z car is a fantastic handling car when set up right. It is infinitely easier to put good bushings and shocks/struts on the Z than to chop it all up, just to equal the existing Z suspension/front end.

The Mustang front end is the choice for those putting together kit cars and other US chop hot rods, but you won't gain anything by chopping up the perfectly good front of your Z.

·
Registered
382 Posts
No you can't drill the Z hub

Have you done it?? There is not enough meat or room to drill out the stock Z hub. This was the only way that would work, and wasn't that hard to do. The stock Chevy bearings fit like factory to the Z spindle. Made a spacer for the rear bearing, and a spacer for the back side of the hub, so I could center the disc and bolt it to the new hub.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RE: Why in God's green earth would you ...

First of all, please don't take the LORD's name in vain. Second, I am building a Velo Rossa GTO kit, with a big block MOPAR and the more changes and modifications the better. ;-) I want to use 17" or even 18" wheels, which have to be custom made to fit the Datsun, so I would like to change the suspension. Also with over 500lbs of torque I am not sure if even the R200 can handle it. The Mustang II looks better than the stock Z suspension.

So those are some of my reasons.

Thanks,

Rev. Jefferey K. Green

·
Registered
382 Posts
Chevy all around

I don't have exact measurements, but here it goes:

Front End:

I used early Chevy front drum hubs ( I used '62 Impala hubs, because I had them in the garage) but any drum hub should work. I compared both hubs and did a lot of measuring.I made an aluminum 3/8 inch spacer for the spindle at the rear bearing. I needed a spacer that was thick enough to fit over the heads of the studs on the hub, I drilled 5 holes so the heads would fit in the holes I drilled.I think the thickness of this spacer was 1/4 inch. Once this spacer was flat I put the stock Z disc over it. Then I had a machine shop center and drill the hub so I could bolt the dsic on it. As long as everything measures out the same as a Z hub and disc, it should all fit.

Rear End:

This involved a lot more work. All the old rear frame came out, I tubed the wheel wells so my 295-15-50s would fit, and made the new frame rails out of 2X2 square tubing. I had a 12 bolt Chevy rear end made, with posi, 3:73 gears ,and discs. I used a Jeg's street/strip suspension package, and added coilovers. The floor over the rear end is about 2 inches higher than stock, and the spare tire well is gone.
Hope this helps some.
Mike

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WOW Jeff

Mopar big Block?!! Holy COW! You are going to have a Rocket ship, not a car. Please, please take lot's of pictures, I want to see EVERYTHING!

Steve G

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RE: WOW Jeff

Steve,

Good to hear from you. I like the new pics on your web site!! I especially liked the one that shows the inside fender well and the battery, you made the ugliest part of the car look great!!!!! I plan to take pictures and post them kind of like you did, once again you are an inspiration. :) I don't have a scanner or digital camera yet, so it may be a while. I am in the process of rebuilding both a big block 383 and a big block 400. One will go in my car the other in my younger brother's 50 Plymouth Deluxe. I will also post pictures of this as well, I think the before and after pictures will be worth the cost of a scanner.

By the way, I am also not a rich man. I make a comfortable living as an Environmental, Health and Safety professional, however I have a new baby girl on the way (Due June 2) that the Lord has blessed us with. She is going to take priority over my other projects. Also I am a part time pastor, so that takes more of my time. That is why I was still considering selling the project. But good things come to those who wait.

Take care.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.