ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today me and my dad were driving along and the front drivers side wheel on my 280ZX decided to come off. Luckly no-one got hurt and noone elses property got damged, but it screwed a couple of the lugs and studs, and messed up my crappy fender. No big deal, except we didnt have a jack or lug wrench and we were about 30 mins from the house.

So go check you lug nuts, make sure they are all torqued down nice and tight. And make sure you have a jack and lug wrench in there too. I know I will from now on, because that was no fun at all.

On a side note, there was a decent looking blue/grey 280ZX 2+2 for sale about two blocks from where my wheel came off. Didnt get a real good look but, it looked like it was worth the $800 it had on it.

Post Edited (Oct 17, 11:34am)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
a few years ago, a friend of mine was complaing about a rattling noise coming from the front of his car while he drove. He had some cheap aftermarket wheels on his sunfire, the kind with the center cap that hides all of the lugs.

Anyway, i popped off the center cap and 3 out of the 5 lugnuts were laying in there loose and were rolling all around when he drove. Good thing we caught when we did, he regularly made 3 hour trips at 70+mph...could have been devastating.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Lug story

Friend used to run a gas station in Indiana. One Friday afternoon he was finishing up with a '69 Hemi Cuda, which was the baddest car in his little town. He had balanced the wheels, I think, which were mags of some kind. It was getting late, he had a date with his lady, people were coming in, the phone was ringing. . . etc. At any rate, he puts the wheels on this car with the lugs only hand tight and FORGETS to torque them down when the car is back on the ground.
The way he describes it, he went on a trip to another part of the state and that night at midnight, he sits bolt-upright in bed and says, "Holy S__t, I didn't tighten those lugs." He gets on the horn to the guy who's running the station for him and the guy says, "Boy, am I glad YOU called." Paul (my friend) just says, "Is he dead?" Joe, the buddy, says, "No, but he sure is pissed." Turns out the guy was driving like his usual maniac self and one of the rears came off, ripped the back fender all up and he skidded into a muddy ditch. That's when he discovered the other three wheels were also about to fall off. Fortunately, this guy and Paul had grown up together so nobody got sued. But it cost Paul a few bucks to have the Cuda fixed up.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured I'd say it, sitting on the side of the road missing a wheel is no fun. Doesnt take much time or effort to check your lug nuts, or any of the other things you mentioned. Skipping a few minutes to do those things now will cost you more time and probably money later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.