ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned today the importance of well seated harnesses and how touchy and tempermental they are so if you're having engine problems they deserve a check. After removing my compressor fan belt I must have accidentally unseated either the Thermotime Switch or the Water Temp Sensor harness because my 78 would roughly idle at around 500rpm and the smell of gas was strong. Since my arms were banging around in that area I just jiggled both harnesses and made sure they were well seated and now it runs great again. Might be time to solder in some new harnesses.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
it is incredible what a difference it makes when you solder in new plugs on the inbjectors. holy @!#$! it is about 30% faster.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you kidding or did you really notice a difference with new injector connectors? I have new connectors from autozone but haven't had time to put them on as front brakes are my new priority.

·
Registered
359 Posts
i think mine are a bit dodgy so i got some good looking ones from a later model car (c. 1990 Nissan Pintara) which im going to put on.

How did you solder them on? its an 82zx motor in a 260Z. permanent attatchment it the way to go you think?

i have a bit of a crap idle and im hoping the connecters will help...

at least you guys can buy them new though...no one here in Oz makes them - except Nissan and then they only sell the complete harness so I'd be up for big $$$...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Jeremy - you don't solder them direct. You splice in a new connector and pig tail. You solder the pig tail in to the existing harness.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Okay, okay, I've noticed that every danged Z I've owned/worked on has crappy injector connectors, but I didn't know you could buy them new. So do you have to go through Nissan, or what?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Bosch makes a kit. It includes(disassembled) the plastic housing, the rubber boot, and two crimp-on/solder pins. With this kit you can just clip off the old connector and solder on the new one. I think this is better than the pigtailed ones.

I don't have the number now, but I do at home. I will send it to ya. The price is approx. 7 bucks each.

Aren77z

'78 280Z (Col. Mustard)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where do you get the Bosch

Aren77z,

Can you let me know where I can buy the Bosch kits also? $7 each isn't a bad price and they sound better than the auzone connectors I have now. MSA sells new ones for $13 each on page 69.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
No joke. I am very serious. Any corrosion will reuslt in extra resistance. This will @!#$ everything up. The injectors run at 3 volts, any resistance in the connector blows that to ****. Since this controls the pulse width for injection, it is reasonable to assume that removing tre resistance (replacing the connector) will result in the engine running much richer (at a proper mixture) and will hence be much more powerful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.