ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Totally different. How long have you been into Z's Andrew and you have never read up on the 432R and Hakosuka GTR?

There is a picture of the engine in a GTR here
http://www.monkys.jp/e/ucar/1972GTR.htm

and you can buy it for a mere $42,000.00 without shipping. A 432R would be considerably more.

Post Edited (Jan 16, 1:16pm)

·
Registered
186 Posts
JapanZ wrote:

> Just so you all have an idea what it sold for...$9000 USD.

No - it didn't SELL on the auction. The auction was ended early. Please don't represent the highest withdrawn bid as a SALE price, and therefore a guide as to what these engines change hands for in Japan.

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
Yeah...

That $9K would be a deal for that complete of an example.

I have some wonderful photos of my 240 back in 84-89 while I was doing restoration work. In some photos you can see an S20 on a cart, and I can still remember everyone carping about having to move it in and out of stalls to get work done! We all whined about how it was a "dust collector", people who have seen the photos recently go "What is that engine there?" They see another photo and go "Is that....it that...it looks like a....is that an s20 from a 432?"

LOL

Tragic Story: I'd filled out all the government paperwork to ship my 73 240Z back to the USA, and the Shaken rules on body width had changed, and the owner of the engine offered to trade me straight across for my 240Z his 432...with spares! Rocket boxes full of extra carburettors, a Grand Slam Liner and piston kit, mechanical injection cam sets. just a pile of spares.

Of course, with the US Government, it's all in the paperwork. And once that VIN number was committed to the shipping...there was no changing it!

It bothers me to this day, especially when I go through the old photo albums and see the photos of that 432! I almost bought it when I first arrived in Japan, but I remember my logic: "Why would I ever spend $3200 on that Z, when I can get a better one off any car lot for $2400????"

Faultless logic, eh?

Idiot!

Hindsight is 20/20...

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Thanks Alan...I will be sure not to 'get outta line' in the future. It seemed to me that on my computer and the close of the auction coincided with the final time and relative information concluding me to seriously understand it as a final close and sale. Hence I stated that it sold for $9000. Is there another way I should have represented the '71 engine? It is gone though...that is and was the point. If you know more than that I would be entertained by the fact you or someone you know closed the deal otherwise.

·
Registered
186 Posts
JapanZ,
It's not a question of "getting out of line" ( let's not get dramatic about this ). My post was not intended as an admonishment, but it can be frustrating that people will simply read the bottom line and think they can get a pristine S20 engine for $9000 USD, should they wish to.

The plain fact is that S20 engines in good, useable condition ( let alone fairly pristine looking, like the one in the Yahoo auction you showed ) do NOT change hands for low figures any more. You can get lucky and occasionally find one that has been squirrelled away under a workbench for a rainy day, but such an engine would certainly require a rebuild costing the best part of 600,000 to 800,000 JPY just in parts alone. Such rebuild projects change hands on average for between 500,000 and 1,000,000 JPY on the open market these days, and I have personal experience of decent rebuild projects changing hands between friends for only slightly less than that........

The increasing value of the factory S20-engined cars is - of course - dragging the prices of these engines and their component parts ever upward. There is a finite quantity of cars, and therefore a finite quantity of appropriate engines to go with them. Some of the collectors who are now paying upwards of 8,000,000 JPY for the most perfect of KPGC110s for example want to have a 100-point correct K3 or K4 S20 engine to go with it, and also a spare one to stash away for a rainy day.

The engine in the Yahoo auction that you took the picture from was never really up for open auction. It was always going to be withdrawn or "sold" to a friend without any real transaction taking place. I am aware of the identity of the 'seller' ( he's one of the Hokkaido-based arch collectors ) and he does stuff like this all the time. This is why the engine got a few bids and was then withdrawn. Essentially he and his friends are doing a little 'show and tell' and aiming at attracting interest from people who are selling relevant parts outside the auctions. They are also looking for top-money buyers who will NOT want to buy such an item at auction. So essentially, the auction acts like their business card.

This particular engine was a GT-R spec S20 by the way. In order to slot that engine into an S30 body you would need to find the 432/432R spec sump, oil pump pickup and dipstick tube, as well as engine mounts, front crossmember and transmission bellhousing. None of those items are cheap or easy to find any more. The fact that less than 500 S20-engined S30s were ever made is one of the main reasons for that.

These engines have a lot of 'wow' factor because of their race heritage and rarity, but the plain truth is that they are two litre engines that need a LOT of money spent on them to produce the kind of power that a relatively low amount of money spent on an L24/L26/L28 will give. Any decent increase in capacity requires a longer stroke crank and a custom piston & liner kit. That costs a LOT of money! Even then you would be hard pressed to get the capacity out to any more than 2.3 litres.

I just don't think Yahoo auctions should be used as a reliable guide to the TRUE cost of rare parts in Japan. There's a lot going on behind the scenes that the insiders know about, and people like us who are looking at it from the outside don't know about.

Alan T.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
See...I knew I liked ' dramatic ' better. It was not anything beyond the truth obviously. I was not aware of the history about to be taught to me either. I would not be able to consider the idea of ever spending as much for an engine as you could for an entire years salary or what have you. Shame on the guy in Hokkaido for teasing us all then. Please tell him for me if you get the time. I will correct this much...I only commented as to its finish in the auction. It was a finish to the auction at the last minute and second. I can take a screen shot!!! I didn't know, really...but it seemed like a sale. I never did start the thread. See, I still like dramatic better. Quite the 'Meishi'. I hope you can see the sarcasm here.

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
LoL

You guys!

meishi LOL

:Shakes Head:

LOL

I still kick myself for not doing the deal and PAYING for the shipment of that 432 on my own. Not that Uncle Sugar gave me much $$$ to leave the service with. That LES had me get a whopping .37 cents because they took all my pay for "Overweight Charges" shipping my household goods...

If I only had that 432 now....with the spare "Dust Collector"...

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.