ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '81zxt seems to gradually discharge the battery and eventually runs low enough that the car stalls! When this happens, it stumbles baldly a few times then quits running. There isn't enough juice to turn the car over. Then, I pull the battery, take it home, charge it, reinstall the battery and the car starts and runs fine. This has happened twice.
I have: installed new battery, new ground cable to frame and starter bolt, cleaned alternator terminals and checked belt tension.
The idiot light lights when the key is turned on but not at any other time. The lights burn brightlyand all appears normal until the car quits again.
Anybody have any ideas??

·
Registered
382 Posts
Did you put a volt meter across you battery when the engine is running? It should read aprox. 14 volts. If it's 12 or less your alternator is shot. Don't rely on the idiot light, that's why the're called that. Your lights are bright because you just charged the battery. Hope this helps.
Mike

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response Mike. Yes, I did check across the battery terminals; I read just 12 volts so I my first guess was the alternator. The car will start and run just fine for about a week before it quits and strands me somewhere. Could my z live that long on just a good battery charge?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.