ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible to change an 83 280zx automatic to a manual? If so would it cost alot and would it be easy to do? Also is it easy to take off the shade things on the rear window. I would appreciate any help what so ever

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Changing Tranny!! HELP ME!!!!!!</b>

Anything is possible my child. Never forget that. I had that done on my first Z ('72 ). I've never done it myself, so I don't know the details. When I had it done - 8 years ago more or less - it came out to about $1,100.00. The price included a 5 speed transmission. I have no idea regarding the louvers.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Changing Tranny!! HELP ME!!!!!!</b>

It's not hard and it doesn't cost much. If you do the work yourself, expect to spend between $270 to $400. Thing to do is to locate a doner car. Scout the wrecking yards for a ZX with manual. This is important because you'll need the little stuff like clutch, pedal hydralic line, shifter etc...
Another thing, It'll be cheaper in the long run if can you cut a deal with the wrecking yard first, before you continue paying for every little thing you might need.
With the tranny, flywheel and everythingelse to complete the job, it shouldn't be more than $250 to $275. Just tell him what you're trying to do and cut a good deal.
For details, look in the Archives.
Good luck
Tom H.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
IT'S EASY!!!!!!!!!!!

Converted my '72 from Auto to 5-Speed. Already had the clutch, clutch hydraulics, and pedals from my wrecked '71 4-Speed. Bought a 5-Speed from pick-your-part for $90.00, and did the work myself. Had a friend help me with the removal and installation of the trans itself, but could have done that too by myself with a little muscle work. Everything bolts right in and is very simple and straight forward. As the previous post said, get all the parts off one wrecking yard car. I think you can do it for less than $200.

Good Luck & Have Fun!

John M

·
Registered
253 Posts
like everyone else says "its easy" i did it in oct98 by my self, in about 14hours from start to finish. some words of advice, get a transmission jack or have some one help you, dont try to make your own clutch hose, buy it from nissan, and if you have any other question email me and i will be glad to help.

jon 83280zx

·
Registered
306 Posts
Don't forget to add a piot bushing and pry the automatic spacer off the end of the crankshaft with two screwdrivers (it looks like it machined to the crank but it not).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.