ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 86 non turbo z and need to change the spark plugs, but as I attempted to do this I found that none of the tools I had would get in these tight spaces and the tool that came with the z's toolkit will not get there either. Any tips on changing the spark plugs on the 86 z.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well I have an 85 N/A, and all I did was use a ratchet, a spark plug socket, some extensions, and a swivel.... Geez, it was like putting together lego's over here. but don't give up, sometimes they're a pain. Although I still can't understand why your spark plug tool from the kit didn't work.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yeah really come on--Rocket science try harder Man the back one on the driver side #6 (I think) 6 or 5 you have to go around towards the fire wall and come at it like that!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
if you can't get the socket on the plug you need to use compressed air to blow the trash out of the spark plug recesses. you'll be amazed at what you find in there.

·
Registered
639 Posts
You also need to unbolt some items on driver's side of intake (can't remember exactly what) to get at a couple. Owner's manual has explanation -- least mine did.

Roger

·
Registered
362 Posts
Its a good idea to blow the trash out of the holes anyway, unless you think your engine LIKES dirt, grit, and trash in the cylinders. The tool Nissan supplied should do the job, use it well...lol. LaterZ.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
"I have a 86 non turbo z and need to change the spark plugs, but as I attempted to do this I found that none of the tools I had would get in these tight spaces and the tool that came with the z's toolkit will not get there either. Any tips on changing the spark plugs on the 86 z."

Did you try the spark plug tool that came with the car? it should be located under the rear carpet on the left side.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The driver's side is a pain in the ass. Take the advice on blowing air or use a shop vac to clean out around the plugs before you take them out. The plugs sit in depressions and collect all kinds of crap that you don't need in the engine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I couldn't believe the amount of crap when I did the plugs on mine, I had the whole intake off and I was finding injector seals from who knows when...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.