ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst replacing my head gasket my chain tensioner popped out. How easy is it to get this back in? Do I need to pull the front of the engine off as it dosen't seem to want to be removed and does the sump need to come off to and can I pull the sump off with the engine still in the car? Sorry just trying to do the job in the least time with least effort. got no garage and it's real cold outside now! Searched the archives to no avail.

Thanks, Wes

· Registered
596 Posts
I've made this mistake before...unfortunately the cover has to come off. I now have a custom made wedge to keep this from ever happening again.

· Registered
320 Posts
ive removed the front cover on my 71 240z by loosening the oil pan bolts enough to allow room to pull the cover off instead of removing the entire oil pan....you can do this with the front end jacked up ...just remove the bolts that hold the front cover to the oil pan i think like six or so bolts if you dont want to remove the entire pan.. good luck michele

· Registered
69 Posts
As a Nissan Master Tech, I constantly search for ways to "beat the clock" and I have had this happen to me before. The way I did it is to remove the distributor (mark rotor position first) and using a long thin screwdriver while looking down through valve cover opening, I worked tensioner plunger back into place. Keep in mind that this is no easy task, but is a lot less headache than pulling front cover.

· Registered
323 Posts
I have tried to get around removing the front cover too, but that tensioner fits very snug into the oil pressure slot. It is hard enough fitting it in there with the cover off. I would say it is nearly impossible to do this with just a screwdriver poking the tensioner...

Just remove the oil pump and front cover and get it over with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.