ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to plumb a centrifugal charger onto a Z-car? I'd rather do this than the JCR roots set-up because I could use tuned port injection. It shouldn't be too hard, right? I have an extra braket since I'm removing my AC. I don't want to SHade-tree it though. Maybe I should talk to a speed-shop.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Share the data

My idea is as follows:
1. Remove the AC commpressor and mount the alternator in it's location.
2. Mount the charger where the alternator was.
3. The charger inlet should face towards the front of the car. The outlet should face towards the right as you look at the engine from in front. From the outlet run the intercooler directly in front of the engine. This will require replacing the mechanical fan with an electric, probably in front of the radiator.
4. The intercooler outlet should be able to reach the manifold with winimal tubing.

I own a 74, so I'm not exactly sure how the intake on the fuelie setup works. As you can see with all I have to do this is a very intensive project. I'll probably need proffesional help to re-mount everything and run the belts, but think of the power...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Re: Share the data

suggestion: maybe you should put the intercooler in front of the radiator and still use an electric fan but put it behind the radiator...should get a cooler intake charge

·
Registered
307 Posts
Centrifugal Yeah!

I have had a long interest in this type of blower since it doesn't put full boost at low RPM, thereby saving bearings when you don't need the power and it looks like a simpler bolt on/off operation. It is also the blower of choice in domestic cars like the Regal, but they keep the boost low even at high RPM (less then 7.5 PSI I undertand).

I have stock SUs and don't know if I can boost them or not. I keep asking about what might happen everytime someone talks about any kind of forced induction, but no one here really seems to know.

Have a look at the bottom of the page on this link and see the mikuni setup getting pressurized!

http://www.jimcookracing.com/catalog/page25.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.