Kindamaybe...not!

cannonball89 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This may be a little off topic, but I wonder if
> the reason some say their brakes don't work when
> the throttle is stuck open is because the engine
> is not producing vacuum at full throttle, so there
> is no power assist on the brakes?

If the person PUMPS the pedal, that might be an issue after the second application---the reservoir is bled down and no assist will be forthcoming from that point. But the first two, sometimes three applications will be assisted by the vacuum in the booster.

But there is an electric driven ABS system on these cars, and it makes it's own pressure. And a computer determines which wheel gets what pulse and pressure in each circuit. Much to GM's credit they came up with a MECHANICAL way to accomplish this (very similar to antilock antiskid on military and civilian aircraft brakes...) very cheaply. Unfortunately a lawyer got involved there after some changes in the system, pointing to the changes as admission of a 'negligent original design' and raked them over the coals.

They had it right in Ancient Rome: "First, Kill all the Lawyers!"

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
What the **** is "manumatic"?

300zx first car Wrote:
> The majority of the cars with the issue are
> primarily A/T, and if not that they are manumatic
> with no clutch (again, computer controlled). Not
> many people want a M/T Camry or Corolla

What the **** is 'manumatic'? The last semi-automatic car I knew of was a 68 VW with the clutch actuated by a switch on the shifter, a manual transmission coupled to the clutch through a torque converter---it was the only way they could run the air cooled, since it didn't have the power for the autoboxes at the time.

I've never heard of a 'manumatic' before, and I'm just waiting for a description of this one. Especially on a TOYOTA.

They have AUTOMATIC BOXES with a MANUAL gate---allowing manual selection of the gear like a reverse valve body conversion on a Hydramatic... But it's an AUTOMATIC transmission...

I think I gotta put "manumatic" into wikipedia to see what hits. That's a new one on me!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Wikipedia.

"Manumatic"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manumatic

"Manumatic most often refers to an automatic transmission, with some elements of manual transmission control (e.g. a gear can be manually selected instead of having the computer control all shifts)."

Semi- Automatic Transmission

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-automatic_transmission

"A semi-automatic transmission (also known as clutchless manual transmission, automated manual transmission, flappy-paddle gearbox, or paddle shift gearbox) is a system which uses electronic sensors, processors and actuators to execute gear shifts on the command of the driver. This removes the need for a clutch
pedal which the driver otherwise needs to depress before making a gear change, since the clutch itself is actuated by electronic equipment which can synchronise the timing and torque required to make gear shifts quick and smooth."

------
"Despite superficial similarity, manumatics differ significantly in internal operation and driver's "feel" from semi-automatic transmissions. A manumatic, like a standard automatic transmission, uses a torque converter instead of clutch to manage the link between the engine and transmission - and therefore the roadwheels, though a manumatic has the ability to command shifts manually which is not found on a regular automatic."

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
Go back and check that link out again!

True to my word, I actually went there and read that when I said I would, it's a morphed word in reference to each manufacturer's individual trade name. I knew of Porsche "Sportmatic" or "Tiptronic"...

But looking through the list, they don't have a name for Toyota.

Which is what I was getting at, it's not the case in the vehicles in discussion here.

·
Registered
449 Posts
After I posted the wikipedia link I realized that that was what you had aforementioned. I also noticed Toyota didn't have a listed manumatic system on the wikipedia page. I don't know what the proper definition for Toyota's shift-able automatic is, but manumatic is certainly not the term I was looking for. Thanks for the correction Tony

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Billy, too!

Shakespeare said it, also. I saw a car on I-10 today...soaped onto the rear window was: "DANGER:TOYOTA!

I thought to myself (about the driver): "Oh, you Pu**Y!"

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
Manumatic...

jaket2K9 Wrote:
> It must be fun to invent a word that is hard
> enough to prounounce and spell and use in a
> sentance.

It sounds.....vaguely......

Sexual, that's all. "It's not natural!"

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
I will never look at an english teacher in a normal way again..........

Speaking of catering to idiots I invented a new game. Its called find the offensive word in the peacful picture. Its like wheres waldo but for anyone with a good eye. So find the word!
[attachment 16981 hidden-message.jpg]

121 - 131 of 131 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.