ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
14,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Some of you guys were around driving groundpounders with dinky drum brakes and bias-ply tires. Go down a steep mountain grade and your brakes would fade. Everyone knew how to gear down. Get underinflated tires too hot(even Zrated radials) and they will blow. Radiator caps did not need a warning. Parallel parking was required to get a driver's license. Cars were so big that everyone had to be able to use the mirrors. 99.9% of all cars were RWD, so whats this stuff about FWD being safer in bad weather?

Back in 2008, a group of us made a run from Cleveland,Ohio to Reno,NV. I'm driving a RWD 400+HP sportscar with 12 inch wide wheels through rain and standing water at 90mph for 2 days. People were amazed. "How is it that you can do that with everyone else hydroplaning and spinning offroad?" Either you can drive or you cant. No ABS, no traction control, no stability control, no backup cameras, no warning buzzer. And the idea of having some airbag pointed at my face makes me nervous.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
There is one big issue here that nobody has mentioned. Everyone seems to have forgotten that,we are not talking about a regular throttle cable or linkage. These cars are drive by wire. You cannot simply put your foot under the pedal and bring it back up. I agree that driver ed is important and Toyota should hold classes for new owners of cars with these systems in them but,Toyota knew of these problems and has not done enough to fix the problems. They boasted that they got away with not doing some of the safety testing they should have. And as for the way the CHP cop handled the crash in Santee last year, I think he did the best he could have under the conditions he had. Several people on the road said the brakes were on fire as he tried to slow down. Its sad that these things happen but,they do. It is also sad to see that people are more than willing to blame the victims and not the company that puts more into selling the cars instead of finding and fixing the problem. Iam not saying the company is the sole problem but,people should not have to fear the car they are driving either.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
We don't drive cars anymore, computers do. And it sucks. Just wait for the lexus models that can parallel park themselves, and steer there way out of an accident based on bumper and wheel speed sensors.

Really makes me not want anything new, regardless of brand.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Whats the point to get a nice car if it drives itself?

It remindes me of a Darwin Award winner "The auto pilot RV." Where they assumed the cruse control was autopilot and the RV drove itself...... Then they wrecked. Now they got to inform in the drivers manual that cruse control will not automatically take you to your destonation.

·
Registered
14,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The issue isnt whether or not the car has a throttle cable or drive by wire. The transmissions work the same way regardless of throttle. A cop spends 3x the time in the saddle compared to the average commuter. A cop has to qualify in order to drive a cruiser. Out of everyone on the road, a cop should know what do when his vehicle suffers an equipment malfunction.

He got himself killed. Cars will malfunction. The day that cars dont malfunction is the day that the dealerships give all their techs walking papers.

"Oh, the brakes were on fire!" Sure signs of an idiot.
"Toyota should hold classes" as if that will make a difference.
"They didnt do enough safety testing!" translation: "They should taken time to make sure that idiots would be safe! Idiots deserve safety too!" Idiots get exasctly wht they deserve.

"It is also sad to see that people are more than willing to blame the victims and not the company that puts more into selling the cars instead of finding and fixing the problem. Iam not saying the company is the sole problem but,people should not have to fear the car they are driving either."
Translation: "Its sad to see that some of you are more than willing to blame the nondriving idiot and not the automaker thats in the business of seller cars instead of protecting the idiot. I'm not saying the automaker is the sole problem, but idiots should not have to know how to operate cars."

Catering to idiots. Gunmakers have been trying for years to idiotproof guns. One day someone's going to make a smartbullet with an electronic trigger. A minature camera will be placed on the guide rod so the bullet can recognize and will hit whatever the camera saw. Idiots will buy it because it was catered to them as the "safegun". Some idiot will look down the barrel while holding the electronic trigger. His stupid loved ones will try to sue the gunmaker because the bullet was suppose to be smart. Gunmakers will be required to make a smartbullet that will not strike people saved in the DONT SHOOT file in the gun's memory. Some idiot will test this out by looking into the gun and pulling the trigger.

You know, I have an idea for a gameshow. Its called Russian Roulette. Its played with a .45auto with a 9 round clip. You explain to the contestant that theres a clip that holds 9 rounds, but theres only 2 bullet in the clip. Top prize is a cool mil.

·
Registered
755 Posts
The wife had an 08 Camry when we married. We had a training lesson in her car in the driveway several times, on how to prevent the fiery crash if the throttle stuck.

1ST LESSON:
Me: THE THROTTLE IS STUCK!
Her: OMYGODOMYGODOMYGOD!

8TH LESSON:
Me: THE THROTTLE IS STUCK!
Her: (Calmly) Ok, Hold tight to the steering wheel, depress brakes to reduce speed, shove the shifter up until it goes into Neutral, turn the key off. Pull off the side of the road and call you on the cell phone.

My wife is a girley-girl with absolutely no mechanical training before we married. A few short lessons, and she is much better prepared for emergencies. I did not tell her to sue Toyota, or blame XYZ part. I showed her how to react to such emergencies. Like Ballistic, I never wore a helmet riding bicycles (I raced go-karts wearing shorts, no shoes, and a pair of dust goggles). I am still alive, and do not suffer from ADD thanks to my Dad's firm hand.

·
Super Moderator
6,412 Posts
My problem with the entire situation is When did toyota know and how far did they go to cover it up. Every car manufacturer will have a recall once in a while. How they treat the info and their "loyal" customers is the defining factor for me. If you look into toyota did a lot to get "around" recalling their cars. And while it may not all be illegal , it certainly doesn't make me want to run out and buy one.It's kind of along the lines of why I won't buy gm or chrysler .You know the "show me the money" car companies.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Re: Welcome to Ralph Naders Idiocy!

Very, very true Tony. Most people on the road should not be there. They have no business being in a position to kill somebody else due to their own lack of skill and attention. Biggest problem I have at work is twenty somethings who won;t pay attention to what they are doing and I end up having to fix there problems! **** PC correct employer refuses to just tell people to get off their butts and do the job they were hired and trained to do. All I ever hear is "maybe they just need more training".

·
Registered
14,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
possum25 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The wife had an 08 Camry when we married. We had
> a training lesson in her car in the driveway
> several times, on how to prevent the fiery crash
> if the throttle stuck.
>
>
> 1ST LESSON:
> Me: THE THROTTLE IS STUCK!
> Her: OMYGODOMYGODOMYGOD!
>
>
> 8TH LESSON:
> Me: THE THROTTLE IS STUCK!
> Her: (Calmly) Ok, Hold tight to the steering
> wheel, depress brakes to reduce speed, shove the
> shifter up until it goes into Neutral, turn the
> key off. Pull off the side of the road and call
> you on the cell phone.

Class dismissed.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ballistic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> possum25 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The wife had an 08 Camry when we married. We
> had
> > a training lesson in her car in the driveway
> > several times, on how to prevent the fiery
> crash
> > if the throttle stuck.
> >
> >
> > 1ST LESSON:
> > Me: THE THROTTLE IS STUCK!
> > Her: OMYGODOMYGODOMYGOD!
> >
> >
> > 8TH LESSON:
> > Me: THE THROTTLE IS STUCK!
> > Her: (Calmly) Ok, Hold tight to the steering
> > wheel, depress brakes to reduce speed, shove
> the
> > shifter up until it goes into Neutral, turn the
> > key off. Pull off the side of the road and
> call
> > you on the cell phone.
>
> Class dismissed.

Nice, xD.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I agree with all the "learn to drive" comments, but what's scarier is that you could POTENTIALLY really be helpless. Many new cars have throttle-by-wire, brake-by-wire, engine-power-by-wire, AND shift-by-wire. No mechanical connection from you to ANYTHING. Gas, brake, ignition and shifter are all just suggestions to the computer. If the software gets in a bad state, your ONLY options could be the e-brake (assuming that's not yet computer-controlled) and the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
See Fight Club

Ed Norton`s explanation of his job...........

Narrator: A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.

Business woman on plane: Are there a lot of these kinds of accidents?

Narrator: You wouldn't believe.

Business woman on plane: Which car company do you work for?

Narrator: A major one.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The cop did not kill himself,the gd car did. Yes,unfamillarity with a new car is a problem and again,dealerships should have sessions to explain the new cars systems. I would love to see some here who have said it was the driver's fault go through the same conditions that some of the VICTIMS had to go through and see how you do. You guys are so quick to blame the drivers when there is a lot of evidence that Toyota covered up alot of these problems and even bragged about getting away with very little money spent searching for the answers to the problems. It is a problem with the electronic controls for the engine. Ballistic,think if it were you,your wife,daughter and brother-in-law and the same thing happened to you with tha same conditions he had,do you reaaly think you could have done better? Are you a CHP,behind the wheel alot like you say a cop is? Toyota f#@ked up big time,got people killed and you want to blame the driver? I feel sorry for you.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Statistics and the Law of Distribution can be applied to Intelligence. Look at the Bell Shaped Curve...

For every reasonably intelligent person with an ounce of common sense, there is an equal number of morons that would drown while looking up in a thunderstorm.

Oh yea...the lower half of that distribution curve has a drivers license and will be on the road with you today...

21 - 40 of 131 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.