ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still working on replacing my clutch.. next step is to remove the driveshaft, woohoo! Anyway, I noticed that my car is missing a catalic converter heat shield when I came to the step that said to remove it.. and it wasn't there. There must be some point in it.. but I've been driving without it with no problems, so I was wondering what you guys had to say.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
theres no point just another thing to have to take off - whenever i take one off i just leave it off

·
Registered
540 Posts
if yuo dont put it on after the fix ur working on ,just remember not to park in high grass or inleaves.ur car could start a fire

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, there are two heat shields - one below the catalic converter and one above it. I'm missing the one above it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
If you don't put them on right they buzz and rattle. If it's off leave it off. Just take DAD7751's advise and keep it off the lawn and grass.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
yeah mine came off after it started rattling. never had a problem. and anyone who would take a Z in a field with high grass deserves to start a fire under their car :p

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
lol

·
Registered
224 Posts
Re: Catalytic converter heat shield.. important?

Left my upper shield off and doesn't seem to create any issues. Even checked the area inside the car directly above the CAT for heat and nothing. No problemo unless you have a plugged CAT and if that's the case you probably have other issues to deal with also.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well when I did my transs I took it off and gutted it and then put it back on to make it look like it was still there...that way you get better flow less back pressure. and it doesnt get as hot as the gases pass thru and out the ass end....your call..but leave the shield off and gut the cat then put it back.....more hp....less heat and back pressure..
bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.