ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently posted a questoin about removing the cat. many of you said that you would just gut the cat. is there any loss of power from the air expanding once it reaches the cat and then having to go back down to exit? are non turbo cats the same size as the turbo cat? i was thinking about going to a local junk yard and pulling a cat off there and gutting that one so i can keep the one i have for future use(if i need it). i think this would be best or should i have a weld shop fabricate one for me? thanks for any input regarding this topic.

· Registered
2,404 Posts
I have a 82 na & 83T, I am about 100% sure the exaust is larger from motor to tip on the turbo. To cold to look, 3deg.F in Iowa now.
If your ixaust is good I don't think changes are worth the $$$ & effert.
If you need new, try it, no loss in $$$ & effert, but don't think you will gain anything.

Lee

· Registered
492 Posts
Do you have to get "smogged"?.....Is your car n/a or turbo?....if you have to get smogged i'd just get a high-flow cat..(maybe increase the pipes,cat,muffler to all be 3" if its a "turbo")......if you dont have to get smogged.....i'd just straight-pipe it...
.....if you have a turbo run 3" pipe (and if you can,.... get something to replace the 90 degree piece "that has the o2 sensor" w/a lesser bend)..
......if its n/a just use a pipe thats the same as what youve already got (its not going to make that much difference).headers might help some...but you have to tighten them all the time...
....then put on a high flow muffler
...it doesnt help that much w/a n/a car....but it does w/a turbo....s

· Registered
222 Posts
I made a bolt on, bolt off cat bypass for my 83zxt. All I did was take off cat, used the cat gasket for a template for my new flanges. Got my local welder to make 2 1/4 inch flanges, got a pipe at the local auto parts store. Welded the pipe to the 2 flanges and boom for $15.00 in parts an $30.00 in labor I got me a removable bypass. Was pretty easy to do with minimal blood loss and hammering.

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Turbo Cat

You can simply have the correct flange welded to your headpipe to attach to the turbo cat, and benefit from the larger exhaust back from the cat.
The flange is larger on the turbo cat, as stated above, because the turbo has a larger downpipe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.