ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an '81 280zxt that i am looking at replacing the cat with a straight pipe. i was just looking at it and i might be wrong, but it looked as though the pipe exiting the cat was smaller than the one entering? is this possible? i am pretty sure this car is all original, almost positive. am i wrong? any input wold be great. thank you

G

·
What's the difference, unless you are going to use the cat again? I paid $75 to have a 2.5" system from the down pipe back to the tail lights on my 86T. Check around at the local muffler shops until you find a good price. Good luck. John

· Registered
41 Posts
I went into my local auto parts store and told them that I was removing my cat and they sold me all the parts needed to complete the job. The gaskets, the straight pipe, the adapters, etc.

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Try shorty Glasspack.

I got one of the 2.5" core glasspacks from JC Whitney -- about 19" long. Fit really nicely-I instawlled the glasspack with the baffles backwards so as to not impede flow... After that, I had a muffler shop fab a 2.5" exhaust to the DynoMaxx Turbo Muffler out in the stock location, and even had the tailpipe made up to go across the back like original, ending in a nice resonated ricer tip (big, but not really THAT big!)
Thing sounds stock, but has all the benefits of free-flow exhaust. All I hear when I get on it is intake thrumming! Pretty cool.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.