ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a question that I need backing on. I think that 76 z's were only equipped with a cat converter on california models, but I cant find any info to back me up. Is this true, and if not, when were they put on as stock?
thanks,
David

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: Cat. Converters</b>

I researched this topic recently and can confirm your suspicion. Only CA emission models had the catalytic converter. Even though I live in VA, I was forced to keep it up to CA standards because of the emission tag on the hood. Federal (other 49 states) exhaust systems had a resonator in place of the converter, which is a drop-in replacement (size-wise). I found an excellent after market converter at Trak Auto in Northern VA. They even had it in stock! Seems like I paid about $90 for it. Beware of the universal type. They typically require some customization and can be a pain. This drop-in replacement worked very well.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 76 federal version...non-cat. The door sticker says conforms to ferderal usepa standards etc, etc, etc...then at the bottom in all capital letters it says NON-CATALYST. Thats one of the reasons I bought it.
Hope this info helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.