ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Casper,Chris& John

458 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  john 
#1 ·
Casper,Chris & John
Thank you all. I took the car into the shop this afternoon and authorized the work for 1060.00
he told me that would include the diff. bearings and u-joints also the rear struts. he bought the diff. used and said that it would be a good opportunity to change out those other parts based on the condition and the age of the parts. he also gave me a 2 year warrenty. Does anyone out there think that the work can be justified and the price is ok.

Lisa

Discussion starter · #2 ·
Don't worry Lisa

Lisa,
You have to understand something about most of the members of this board, myself included. Most all of us cringe at the thought of bringing the car in for work someplace other than our own garage. It's hard for us to give an objective opinion about the work you are getting done. Teh way I would approach it if I were you is to ask yourself if your dad was to bring the car into the shop, would they charge him the same amount. My guess is yes. If your dad used him for a while, I would expect that you will get decent service too. Especially if the mechanic has worked with the car for some time, and has learned it's quirks. Personally, I don't think you're paying too high a price - for you. Don't take that wrong, just re-read what I said at the top. Enjoy the car, treat it well, and it will last for a long time to come. My 81 has 225K miles on it, and is still a little quicky. She's rusting something awful now (It's the cancer), but we make do.
E-mail me if you want to talk further.
Chris
> Casper,Chris & John
> Thank you all. I took the car into the shop
> this afternoon and authorized the work for
> 1060.00
> he told me that would include the diff.
> bearings and u-joints also the rear struts.
> he bought the diff. used and said that it
> would be a good opportunity to change out
> those other parts based on the condition and
> the age of the parts. he also gave me a 2
> year warrenty. Does anyone out there think
> that the work can be justified and the price
> is ok.

> Lisa

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Re: Don't worry Lisa

you're not getting ripped off, i wouldn't worry about it. it's a fair price. they have a lot of work to do. as chris was saying, i can't stand watching other people work on my car, especially being a mechanic. the only thing i ever let anyone touch is the alignment and changing my tires. i once made the mistake of letting sears install a battery in my z, since it was free. i came back to pick it up and they left the window down in the pouring rain. my leather seats were soaked. the mechanic left grease all over the door handles, steering wheel, and the gearshift. how do you get your hands greasy changing a battery? i was pissed off and went inside to bitch the service manager out, that's when they gave me the list of parts and services that they said my car required. i looked at the list and most of it was bs. oh yea, and when i started the car, the clock was messed up and they had lost my radio presets. what a joke. now i just pick batteries up and install them myself. i just hate the thought of a grease monkey driving my car around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.