Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to ask your opinion folks:

I'm looking to buy a carpet kit for my 71 240Z AT. But I would like to ask this forum for their opinion.

Is Cut Pile or Loop the best for maintaining clean and what was original. Which feels best or looks best.

There are several mfg's out there that advertise their kits as being "just like the original" Well, having already had one kit that swam all over the foot well area, I want one that has the snaps and reinforced holes to fit in just like the original. Anyone know which mfg. makes their carpet kit that way?

What about the under pad, is that included with the carpet or does it need to be purchased separately?

I know I could call the individual mfg's but this forum has probably the best qualified people to give an OBJECTIVE opinion, not one that is biased by how many units they need to sell this week.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
428 Posts
While I cannot recommend one kit or manufacturer over another I can tell you what I don't like. Last week I hit the stage of restoration on my 76 that let me install a new molded carpet set that I got from MSA. Now, granted, I have never done one of these molded kits before but I know my way around interior work fairly well. This was one nasty **** job to say the least. I am really not complaining about the quality of the carpet or the general fit when it was first laid in or even the final result which is excellent. But the process of installation was very time consuming and with very little margin for error. Also, while the carpet itself cuts as easily as any carpet, the backing material that is factory applied as a sound deadener is an absolute nightmare to cut. You can literally ruin a new drywall blade in 6 inches of cutting.

Some of the most time consuming sections were the trimming around the seatbelt tensioners, the emergency brake, and the fit of the front of the carpet up under the dash and around the heat/ac unit.

As I mentioned the quality is excellent and I ended up with a nice job, but if you decide to go this route here are a few suggestions: Start by fitting the carpet over the tunnel. The rear of the front section should be in front of the front seat supports. Use a piece of chalk to mark out where to cut on the front of the carpet and then pull it back out and trim. Be prepared to waste a good pair of sissors and bunches of drywall knife blades. With the front of the front section cut to fit work back and out from the center console/tunnel area. Use your hands to pound the carpet in nice and flat and try to work any wrinkles out. Trim the edges when it meets the door seals and then use a spray contact cement to clue in the edge of the carpet along the seal. For the rear section that goes under the seats again start at the tunnel but work from the back towards the front. There is litte I can say about doing the seat belt tensioners, you just have to work it as you go and scream alot.

Hope this provides some help on how the molded units go in and that perspective. Would I use a sectional carpet set the next time?? Probably not since I like the one piece molded look and know that even with only a 2" edge glued it is not going to be moving around. But, it ain't a fun job.

Charles

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey, Enrique. The carpets in my 71 do not have snaps or reinforce holes. They simply lay in place. There are 5 pieces, ech foot well, a piece behind each seat and the rear deck piece. It is cut pile and the rear deck needs a slit to allow entry to the tool storage compartments. DPappe seattle

·
Registered
602 Posts
Have it done Professionally!

I was poised to go the MSA route for cost savings reasons. Then I found a small shop that agreed to do it for $250. I already had the interior stripped. Great job and I had a choice from hundreds of colours and naps. All new insulation throughout and all up the rear upright and deck too. Check it out. It is not as expensive as you think.

steve 77

·
Registered
600 Posts
Re: Have it done Professionally!

Hey, my 72 came with loop carpet originally. Most aftermarket kits I've seen are cut pile. MSA offers both. Cut pile is more durable as it wont lay down like loop pile will. If you are doing a restore I would go with loop. If you are making a daily driver I would use cut pile. I personally like the original look of the loop pile. My 72 is due for new carpet and I was going to go with MSA unless someone has a reason not to otherwise. As for the one piece-molded carpet kits, those are for later Z's that had carpet on the tunnel and not vinyl. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Have it done Professionally!

Hey fantaZ have you found a place that makes raplacement vinyl. everything seems to be not available. Everything i can find in wrecking yards is in worse shape then what i have. I am thinking of going to a professional but rather have OEM quality.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.