ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I just slap on a set of carbs where my fuel injection used to be. I'm planning on taking my L26 out and putting the L28 where it used to be, including the carbs. I'd love to put the FI in as well but do not want to wire it. I also like the fact that I can tune and adjust my carbs without dishing out a fat wad of cash. I also want to shave the head and get it ported/polished, hopefully getting decent horsepower gains. I have rebuilt the L28 from the ground up and need merely to get the head work done before final assembly. Advice/criticism is greatly appreciated.

Steve

· Registered
31 Posts
I have been told that you can use the L28 and head and cam as a replacement for the L26 but when I tried it ( with Weber downdrafts ) It would start and run but I had to tickle it to get into the higher rpms like 1800 and up. Someone told me that I needed to replace the FI cam with a Carb cam and all would be well so I pulled the cam out of the L26 head that I had saved and everything worked just fine -- EXCEPT a used cam and rocker arms don't get along well so the cam was self destructing as the car ran. I ran fine but about every half hour of motor time required adjusting the rocker arms to get rid of the ticking and then it would return. SOOOO I took the motor in and had it rebuilt and had a new cam and rocker arms installed. Now all is well and I live in Z car paradise. So in my opinion you are at the correct place for good things to happen. When you do the head be sure to put in a cam that is compatible with carbs and all will be well. Best of Luck. These cars are a blast when they run well.

MEL

· Registered
17 Posts
steve, I am involved in doing the same swap on my 73 240z and have found that you will have to use the intake/exhaust gasket for your L26. you will have to modify the exhaust ports on the gasket to match the head as the square port gasket is too small for the round port head. also you will have to use a ZX exhaust manifold or install round port headers as the square port manifold will not match up and there is not enough metal in the manifold to port grind to match. one more thing, the fuel pump mounting boss on the head is not open, you will have to drill and grind open this boss if you want to use your mech. pump, or you can do as I did and install an electric pump. since your 260 has a elect. pump at the tank you may use that but I don't think it will give enough pressure to run both carbs at higher rpms. as far as the cam if you check the specs, all L series 6 cyl. cams have the same lift and duration. the only diff. is weather or not it is early or late design [inturnaly or exturnaly oiled]. as I progress with am project I will let you know how well this combo works. Orv.

· Registered
685 Posts
One thing I think that you must address is the issue of flat top pistons verses dish pistons and the compatable heads . the L26 as you know have flat tops p79 engines have flat top pistons and the p 79 head and p 90 and p90a all have the same chamber volume and dimentions [53.5c] . One thing the P 79 has steel valve seats. If you use dish pistons you will have low compression about 7 to one. Food for thought . Any why go with the SUs I agree that is the way to go. Gary Portland Or.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.