ZCar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi... Does anyone here knows where I can get the carbon fiber prop shaft for my 75Z 2+2.
Is it more durable and better than steel shaft ?
My Z could push about 420hp at wheels.......
Thanks.

·
Registered
587 Posts
A carbon shaft will give you a benefit in weight and rotational mass. But the strength is in the u-joints really. They are the weakest link. I would keep the stock shaft and have heavy duty u- joints installed and rebalanced.

·
Super Moderator
41,005 Posts
Inland Empire Driveline Service will make both Aluminum and CF Driveshafts for the vehicle. We have an Aluminum one in the #220 Bonneville Car, so they should have all the measurements.
The Carbon Fiber allows you to run without a driveshaft hoop, since upon failure it won't pogo the chassis, it will break and turn back into fibers on compression.

Depending on what differential you are using, will depend on the U-Joints. We have Spicer 1320's on the Test Mule and it's holding over 700ft-lbs of torque now on a Turbocharged L3.0 - we used a companion flange from a later model Z31 Turbo (as I recall) on the input of the R200 Differential, it had a compatible saddle with the 1320, and IEDLS had a TKO (Ford) output shaft for the tranny that was compaitble with the 1320 on the other end.

·
Super Moderator
41,005 Posts
Just as a note, the rotational change of the Aluminum was good for some MPH in our testing, and for the cost, we stuck with Aluminum on both the N/A making 320 to the rear wheels, and for the Turbo Car making 763 to the rear wheels. It is going together again on another build, and we expect to be pushing over 800 to the rear wheels, still on the Aluminum one...

CF is nice, and is more of a safety thing if you expect to break U-Joints. For the cost of a universal Driveshaft Hoop from Summit....we just put one on there instead of the big dollars for the CF Shaft.

In either case, Inland Empire Driveline Service can make it, and they ship everywhere...unless you want to hop to ONT from LAX next trip, they are VERY close to ONT for a Will-Call Pickup! They actually have two locations now, on Guasti in Ontario and now over in Corona (if you are on the way to Aircraft Spruce)...

Contact information and both addresses are at the bottom of the homepage here:

www.iedls.com

·
Banned
1 Posts
Carbon fiber sustained polymer (American English), Carbon fiber fortified polymer (Commonwealth English), or carbon fiber reinforced plastic, or carbon fiber reinforced thermoplastic (CFRP, CRP, CFRTP, or visit normally fundamentally carbon fiber, carbon composite, or even carbon), is a strong and light fiber-reinforced plastic which contains carbon strands. The spelling 'fiber' is typical outside the USA. CFRPs can be exorbitant to make yet are consistently used wherever high solidarity to-weight extent and solidness (unyielding nature) are required, for instance, avionics, superstructure of pontoons, vehicle, basic structuring, sports equipment, and a growing number of client and specific applications.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts