ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a carbon fiber faceplate for my Z31 AC/heater controls as well as the radio faceplate. My old AC/heater faceplate was silver and was old and scratched and worn looking. The after market radio faceplate is black. Together, they both looked like crap. I found a web site that sells .2mm real carbon fiber sheets with adhesive on the back. Took me 6 hours to remove the AC/heater – radio, disassemble the old faceplates so I could use them as a template, cut the carbon fiber, reassemble everything, and reinstall the ac/heater - radio.

What do you think?

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c153/flyingt54/DSCF0097.jpg

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
that looks good and its a plus cause its different-good job

·
Registered
861 Posts
Nice work! I would offset it with a silver trim around the edges to finish. I was planning on doing the same thing with my center console.

What did you use to cut the CF? I haven't tried cutting any of the stuff yet. Is it like plexiglass with the heat when you cut it or what?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Looks great.

Send me one for a RHD Z! :-D

I need to make something like that as I'm removing my stereo & I wanna put some switches in it's place.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used the cutting wheel attachment on my Dremel tool I am also doing around the shifter and center console in carbon fiber when I take it out when I put in the new carpet. I tried to cut it using a box cuter knife and all it did was score it. I It turned out to be easier to use the dremel cutter and 3 very sharp wood chisels. It took me only 3 hours to cut the CF.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Wow that's neat, I personally would just use the AC controls piece, and use something different for the headunit to break it up a bit, but good job none the less! Very cool to see people getting creative with thier Z's to fix these small little things!

Get a shot of it when it's installed!

Post Edited (Nov 14, 4:55pm)

·
Registered
297 Posts
cool idea, though i am also not a fan of the carbon fiber look.

my opinion is: sure, it reduces weight and is still rigid and strong, but why can't people PAINT their **** CF hoods? it must be a ricer thing, like clear taillights

Post Edited (Nov 14, 5:17pm)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At coolbulbs.com, they have different thickness and sizes. The 9" by 12" .2mm sheet I used was about $25.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
88hybrid, how did you attach the picture?

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
[ I M G ] Your url [ / I M G ] with no spaces does it.

So is that just a sheet over the old part? Have you made your own panels? Do you have any site with step by step instructions on working with CF? I never get good hits on working with CF when I google for it. After a couple of pages of junk you just give up...

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
i wouldnt think that carbon fiber on a z31 would look good, but it does, i like it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.