ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove the 87 na to work today no problem, about twenty minutes later went to start the car and seemed like there was no fuel in it. I thought possibly my calculations are wrong (fuel gauge doesn't work) and I ran out of gas right at work... Put some gas in it still nothing. It turns over like a badass but just won't start.

So where do I begin? The injectors and fuel rail were replaced last year, I don't think the fuel pump was ever done and it has 176k.

I don't want to start replacing things blindly, and suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
If it was outta gas, then it takes a little while for the pump to prime and start. Keep turning the key for a few seconds for about a minute. If nothing, then have a friend help you out. Get a 20oz coke bottle or something and take the fuel line off of the fuel filter and put it into the bottle, have someone turn the car. You'll know then if you're getting fuel or not. If you are, then take a spark plug wire off of a plug and hold it against one of the metal bolts that are on the top of your shock tower to check if you're getting spark. If you are...then you're in good shape, it should be something relatively simple, and I'm sure someone can help more once you post the findings of this test.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Sounds to me like what I believe is called the MAF? Had the same thing happen a few years back. A new one was not cheap. If I remember correctly, it was located down behind the passenger side kick panel. Good luck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Woo hoo! Went back this morning and the car started up hesitantly. It seemed to cough a little and then run well again. Hopefully I just ran it out of gas.

Thanks for the help!!!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Congrats man. Not a better feeling then have your Z start when you don't expect it to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.