ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's the deal. My car...won't start. It's been sitting for a few days cuz the power steering belt went and I had to get a new one to replace it. It's a 1979 280zx.

I run it everyday, so I never have problems with anything freezing up. Last night, I moved it in closer to the house so I could work on it today. It started just fine. I get up this morning, replace the belts (and a guide pulley bearing), get it all together and go to start it and the **** thing won't start.

I've tried everything and pretty much isolated the problem. It has a spark, so that's not the problem. It's getting air and fuel (at least to the fuel filter). Everything after the filter I have yet to check.

It's fuel injected, so the only other problems I can think of would be the ecu or efi control unit problem, a frozen fuel line after the filter, or an injector. Do you guys have any ideas for things I could try to get it to start? I mean, it just sits there and cranks, doesnt even sound like its trying to start. I can't figure this out.

Thanks in advance for any help. Oh, and I'll try to get a scan of the efi diagram from my Hayne's manual, if you think that'll help.

· Registered
1,760 Posts
check the sensors located on the front of the thermostat housing. something may have gotten unplugged while you were changing the belt. also check the afm connector... in fact, check all the fi connectors.

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked the thermotime and water temp sensors. Both were fine. I even unplugged the thermotime and tried to start it (heard this helps sometimes) but it didn't make a difference. The thing is, this all started before I replaced the belts. The morning I came out to replace the belts, I tried to start the car, and it wouldn't. This was before even touching the belts, so I'm pretty sure I didn't bump anything lose. It seems like it was caused by it sitting overnight, and the previous couple days. All I can figure is that one of the fuel lines after the filter is frozen. If so, how would I determine where at and how would I fix it? Also, is there anything else I can check? This is really getting to me...

· Registered
1,760 Posts
How cold is it where you live? If the temp is near or below freezing, your injectors or fuel lines may be frozen... if you have any water in the fuel lines, it will freeze. Check the obvious... got a good battery, spark, alternator, all wiring intact, ect...?
If it has been very cold for an extended period of time, get the car to a heated garage, or try to thaw out the injectors or fuel lines with a hair dryer. (be carefull!)

· Registered
1 Posts
I have an 80 280ZX and have had a silmilar problem before when I have just started it and not driven it. It tends to flood easily. Try taking out your plugs and blowing air into the cylinders and then into the intake to dry it out. It's worked for me twice.

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's below freezing here. I live in Pittsburgh, in western PA. As I said, I checked the fuel line up to the filter, and it was flowing fine. Spark is fine, so all I can figure is that one or multiple injectors are frozen. I threw a blanket over the engine and stuck a hair dryer under it to try and warm them up but it did not work. I also tried spraying starting fluid into the intake just behind the mass air. I pushed down on the throttle linkage to opent he butterfly, and sprayed a good shot in there and tried to start it. That did not work. I guess I'll try to get it into a heated garage somewhere, and pull the plugs and dry it out. Might work. Any other ideas at this point?

· Registered
1,760 Posts
Try the heated garage. If that does'nt work, the next thing is to get a fsm (factory service manual... all Z owners should have one for their car) and starts testing all the FI sensors, electrical system, ect. Just make sure you check the obivious like I said in my previous post.

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, it warmed up today, ~50F, and I decided to give it a shot again. I checked all the FI connecters, the thermotime and water temp sensors, then pulled all the plugs and cleaned 'em off. I shot a BIG thing of starting fluid in and tried to start it and....SUCCESS. :) Fired right up. That starting fluid is pretty **** flammable, as it shot a flame out the intake when it fired for the first time. :) It's running fine now and I don't plan on letting it sit for more than a day if need be until the end of winter. Either that or I'll find a garage. Thanks for all the tips guys. I owe ya.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.