ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured i'de post thisz from another board becasue im having the same problem...maybe you guys can give us some help?

I have a 78 280Z 2+2 and it will not start. I get spark to the plugs
but nothing. There is fuel, and the fuel pump works when I put 12v to
it. I don't get power through the wires in the car. Would a bad fuel
relay cause the problem and if so where is the relay. If not I'm open
for sugestions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
996 Posts
i also have a 78 280Z 2+2 and it wouldn't start.....it turned out to be a loose wire that fed the EFI it's power....check for any and all loose connections

> I have a 78 280Z 2+2 and it will not start.
> I get spark to the plugs
> but nothing. There is fuel, and the fuel
> pump works when I put 12v to
> it. I don't get power through the wires in
> the car. Would a bad fuel
> relay cause the problem and if so where is
> the relay. If not I'm open
> for sugestions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,511 Posts
I Have a 81 280ZX with Turbo and it wont start Im getting spark and gas I looked at the EFI unit
and there is a green and black wire not conected
to anything where does it go? I don't see any place it goes Im just hoping thats the only problem if not then Im taking my baby to the shop and thats not chep

Thanks

Jeff 280ZXT

P.S it ran great then the next day I turn the key and the engine turns over it sparks and it gets gas but it just would not start
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
> I Have a 81 280ZX with Turbo and it wont
> start Im getting spark and gas I looked at
> the EFI unit
> and there is a green and black wire not
> conected
> to anything where does it go? I don't see
> any place it goes Im just hoping thats the
> only problem if not then Im taking my baby
> to the shop and thats not chep

> Thanks

> Jeff 280ZXT

> P.S it ran great then the next day I turn
> the key and the engine turns over it sparks
> and it gets gas but it just would not start

I posted this to begin with. heres my problem, When i turn the key to on I should here the fuel pump right? I don't. But as soon as the car starts The fuel pump kicks in, kinda strange. I have checked the green and black juice wires and their dead, that is untill the car starts. When you say check the connections which ones are you talking about? and where are they?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
> I posted this to begin with. heres my
> problem, When i turn the key to on I should
> here the fuel pump right? I don't. But as
> soon as the car starts The fuel pump kicks
> in, kinda strange. I have checked the green
> and black juice wires and their dead, that
> is untill the car starts. When you say check
> the connections which ones are you talking
> about? and where are they?

The reason you dont here the pump kick in until you start is because of the fuel pump relay. I beleive the reason it does this is prevent excessive fuel pressure from building up the fuel lines. I know my 76 z is the same way and my freinds is also. nothing to worry about
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
> I figured i'de post thisz from another board
> becasue im having the same problem...maybe
> you guys can give us some help?

> I have a 78 280Z 2+2 and it will not start.
> I get spark to the plugs
> but nothing. There is fuel, and the fuel
> pump works when I put 12v to
> it. I don't get power through the wires in
> the car. Would a bad fuel
> relay cause the problem and if so where is
> the relay. If not I'm open
> for sugestions.

Yor problem soundsw like the same problem my freind had with his 78Z coupe. what it ended up to be was the ignition module located under the dash on the passenger side. Its a simple plug in part, but it is very expensive from the dealership. your best bet is to get the #,s off your unit and try to locate one that matches yours in a wrecking yard. this will be the least expensive to find out. hope this helps you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
> I posted this to begin with. heres my
> problem, When i turn the key to on I should
> here the fuel pump right? I don't. But as
> soon as the car starts The fuel pump kicks
> in, kinda strange. I have checked the green
> and black juice wires and their dead, that
> is untill the car starts. When you say check
> the connections which ones are you talking
> about? and where are they?

I believe on your Z the fuel pump doesn't turn on until the ignition switch is turned to the start postition. Unlike the later models(zx) the pump comes on with the ignition switched to the on position. Remove the small lead to the starter so that it will not crank over and turn it to the start position, there should be juice then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Sorry for bringing back such an old topic, but after searching the internet and these forums, this topic best addresses my situation.

I have a 6/77 280z 2+2 that won't start. It has fuel and spark. I checked the EFI all the way back to the main relay and everything seems to be in order. I also swapped the ignition transistor unit and didn't get any change. Any ideas? Thanks.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top