ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 3 weeks ago my 1981 280ZX developed a strange problem. I was driving down the road and the engine stopped for a few seconds and started back up again.
Since I had just bought the car I figured it was the fuel filter, but a couple days later it happened again. I checked the fusible links, ignition coil, battery and relays but it keeps happening. I was hoping someone could help me out.

Thanks

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I would check the fuel pump. If not, check all vacuum hoses/connection. I used to have an Isuzu Impulse that did the same thing and it was the fuel pump.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Ask some other people about the ignition module, many people have had strange stalling problems that seem to be temperature related when this starts to go out. Maybe check the archive here.

> About 3 weeks ago my 1981 280ZX developed a
> strange problem. I was driving down the road
> and the engine stopped for a few seconds and
> started back up again.
> Since I had just bought the car I figured it
> was the fuel filter, but a couple days later
> it happened again. I checked the fusible
> links, ignition coil, battery and relays but
> it keeps happening. I was hoping someone
> could help me out.

> Thanks

·
Registered
261 Posts
Check the fuel pressure regulator... if it's clogged, it will cause too much pressure and cause the fuel pump to stop.... and turn back on irregularly...

Robert

·
Registered
62 Posts
> Check the fuel pressure regulator... if it's
> clogged, it will cause too much pressure and
> cause the fuel pump to stop.... and turn
> back on irregularly...

> Robert
Or it could be a fault in your ecu, it might be giving a command to the fuel pump, telling it to turn off for some reason...

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> About 3 weeks ago my 1981 280ZX developed a
> strange problem. I was driving down the road
> and the engine stopped for a few seconds and
> started back up again.
> Since I had just bought the car I figured it
> was the fuel filter, but a couple days later
> it happened again. I checked the fusible
> links, ignition coil, battery and relays but
> it keeps happening. I was hoping someone
> could help me out.

> Thanks

Hi. About a year ago I had an 82 280zx with the same problem. I spent a whole week trying to figure it out. I ripped out the fuel injection manifold, fuel pump, massair flow sensor, etc. That's when I finally realized that when the problem ocured, I had no rpm indication. So that eliminated every thing other than the ignition system. I tested every thing but couldn't find the problem. My father (who is an electronics engineer had encounterd this problem with his 75 celica), explained that transistors have a habit of failing when exposed to heating and cooling cycles. So over time this cycling deteriorates the elecronics. As they get old this will causes them to fail when they get warm, and turn back on when they cool off.

Based on this I recommened that you try replacing your ignition module, located on the distributor.

Tell me if this works.

Will.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.