ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
IF ANYTHING, at least harvest your energy and direct it towards a 500hp L28et build for your car instead of just whining that nobody pays attention to your car. Then you could probably smoke 90% of the domestics at that car show and I'll be willing to be you'll get some recognition then at the next meet. At least that would be a solution to your automotive insecurity other than just crying about it.
well said :grin

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Jeanne and I used to go to car shows alot when we first got the bug and I've heard the complaints about favoritism and such. But what about the general public Peoples' Choice type shows. Folks go for what they go for.

It was all fun but too **** much hard work constantly polishing and cleaning and you can buy plaques and trophies with engrving for a whole lot less than what you spend in time and money.

The best and most worthwhile car show Jeanne and I went to was a Buick Show in Waxauhatchie Texas ( yes there is such a place ). We won a Hard Luck plaque for the long problem held trip - but the best part of the show and the reason why we went to shows was to find out how the cars were judged and what made for a really good antique car.

The show was a Peoples' Choice and our 1941 Buick Special did not win anything. A 1939 Buick Model 90 Limo won. Later after the show the owner came over and told us we should have won because our car was so original. Well I told John that we were new to car collecting and wanted to learn from the judges what would make the car more special.

John proceeded to show us all the original parts still on our car and what few things we could do to bring up some judgeing points. More importantly he showed me how to fix the vaccum wipers on our car. After a few minutes everyone with a Buick with vaccum wipers were leaning over the engines blowing in the vaccum tube with a drop of oil and waggling their windshield wipers to get the oil to lubricate the butterfly valve. That was worth the trip alone.

John would up saying that we should try to get Betty Buick to a National Buick Show to have her registered as a National Archive car because whe is so original - orange peel paint and all.

Before we left for Houston, the president of our local club came over and told us he was so glad we got to me John. It turns out John was new to Texas and living in Dallas, but he had retired from his job of over thirty years with Buick in Flint, Michigan. Also turns out John wrote the judging book for pre-war Buicks.

It really was about the best car show we attended.

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
"Are you that insecure about your car that you need validation from others?"

Yes.

Otherwise, "Ditto what Jbond just said, in a nutshell."

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Not insecurity - ignorance. I liked the car, I fell in love with it and wanted to know more.

Example: 1941 was one of the biggest dales years for pre-war Buicks and 1946 and '47 models were just 1942 models since the war caused a re-tool for war material.

Now my 1941 engine is fire engine red and is called the "Fareball Straight Eight". All the other guys in the club with cars before and after 1941 had blue/grey engines. It turns out - Than you John - the 1941 was the only time Buick used the red color on engines.

For a while I thought - gosh if this car is rare maybe I shouldn't use it so much - wrong not rare just not seen much. Cars are made to drive not sit and rot. So I learned so what it's not clean enough to sit in a councourse show - drive there and back and around was the sport.

You have to dust plaques and trophies too.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
About all the cleaning and detailing for car shows - well I'm getting really lazy in my older age, that's why our dog Lady Jane is also known as "pre-wash". I don't have to scrub dishes and use less soap.

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
If jecrash saw the trophies I got in The Blue Turd using a display placard that started "FIGHT THE CHEMICAL INDUSTRY: "Natural Patina, no washing, no polishing, all natural spider habitat..."

It's about presentation. He's a simichrome and Q-Tip
Fetishist, without a clue as to what it really takes. And is refusing to listen to not the 'rhetoric' but the HARD FACTS surrounding why he's losing.

It's 2014... Try going to an Effin' car show in DETROIT in the summer of 1984 with an IMPORT.... Like I did. Bias? He doesn't have a CLUE! There were people keying cars in the parking lot there that day.

And damned if I didn't walk out with a trophy. It's all about how you play on the crowd. If you aren't willing to suck their collective dicks as you w h o r e out your car looking for attention... you get what you get!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Wow - definitely the car show judging thing hit a raw nerve. It does amuse me, however, as I always did/do better at a predominantly Detroit iron show than at a predominantly Z car show. Reason why - I have a Chevy LS1 motor which seems to make Z guys embarrassed to talk with me about the car. Never mind the all leather interior, upgraded suspension, 500 watt sound system, etc. that V8 is a real conversation killer. :wink

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
So who needs conversation with a 500 watt system - just move to the grove!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Yeah - but I like talking with people about cars, whether its theirs or mine. The stereo is for when I'm on the road and having a good time with my Z.
I was at an autocross event this past weekend and there was a lot of interest in my car. Guys were amazed when they saw the LS1 under the hood. Even the 240Z drivers liked it since their car was SBC powered. It turned out to be the fastest car at the event -even beating a ZR1 Corvette.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
One other show we attended - the big one in Houston area a concourse show Keels & Wheels - with wooden yachts and cars litereally museum peices. We felt way out of our class but I had an underdash hiden stereo hooked into a very large dash speaker (original).

Since the car is 1941 (Betty Buick) and I had a gas ration A sticker and a keep 'em flying sticker on the car I put a Life Magazine date Dec. 7, 1941 and had a WWII Naval Jacket and hat in the car.

Well Jeanne and I had gone away fromn the car to tour the show and when we came back there was an old woman elegantly dressed for the show sitting in our car - she excused herself from being there and walked away a little red in the eyes.

I don't think it was from embarresment - on the stereo we had a cassette tape loop of the radio show and the Bombing of Pearl Harbour announcement and I noticed the sleeve of the Navy uniform jacket was very wet.

Betty Buick must hold a lot of such stories.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
As I was photographing the cars at Z Nationals this past weekend, I kept remembering Tony's words about creating a presentation with the car. With all of the similar Z32s, Z33s, and Z34s, I caught myself focusing on cars with owners who tried to tell a story about their cars.

Presentation is everything. If you aren't doing something unique, you don't get noticed, even if you have the only Z car in attendance.

By the way, my 260Z isn't show quality, and there were plenty of nicer S30s near it. However, the Datsun flag flying behind my car certainly helped to draw attention to it.

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
What do I know, eh?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Local shows are mostly a joke in my experience...

I have never put my car in a show, but I did show a bike I built a number of years ago for a couple of years. There was nothing on my bike that was still stock besides the frame, and side panels. It was cutsomized and built by me from the bottom up.

I was always amazed at how many people don't know what they are looking at. As amazing is how deeply politics are imbedded in something that is supposed to be fun for builders like a show.

One show, I had my bike sitting there, and I was sitting under a tree just kind of taking it easy, and I overheard a group of harley guys sitting under the tree next to mine, badmouthing my bike. One of the guy's girlfriends elbowed him, and pointed out that the owner of the bike they were talking **** about, me, was sitting right there, and he ought to shut up. So I went over to their group and told them that if they cared to, I would race every harley there, back to back, and smoke them all, and was politely declined.

The last time I showed it, there were 7 bikes in the import class. The guy that took first prize was a yamaha v twin with some bolt on chrome and a decent paint job. Come to find out that he was the county sheriff's grandson, and one of the judges was a deputy, so politics decided the show.

Needless to say, I quit showing the bike.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Meh. Apparently there is plenty of bitching, moaning, and whining going on about the judging at ZNationals from last weekend.

Most of the whining is about conspiracies among the judges causing someone's car not to be picked as the best and crap like that.

We all get our ego boosts in different ways. I tend to get mine boosted from having someone thank me for helping troubleshoot their car problems or from knowing I taught somebody the skills they need to do their job better. I'm just not that worried about whether or not someone wants to give me a trophy for my car.

If you really think your car deserves a trophy, there is always this: http://www.trophydepot.com/Auto-Racing-Car-Awards/C215_G4354/ :devil

·
Super Moderator
40,999 Posts
Yep, a guy is bitching wildly about his garage-pained car at ZCON getting points deductions for things like "Trash in Ashtray", "Trash in Glove Box", Trash in Center Console", "Aftermarket Grille", etc... Each and every one a valid ding on points, and per the judging guidelines one or two points a piece....

What he fails to understand is at ZCON in the judged category they are TAUGHT to find this stupid, sloppy prep and knock cars out of contention. Once you are below the threshold for Gold Medallion they pretty much stop picking your car apart as, really, you didn't put the effort forth to be worthy of further evaluation. Fix your sloppy prep and try again next year. Once they knock out your car, they concentrate on those high-end cars that people PREPARED TO THE HIGHEST LEVELS...they go OVER those cars IN DETAIL.

I can say this honestly: those that have win Gold Medallions I can TRULY say are representative of "THE BEST" in the country regarding their class.

Guys get butthurt because at a defined concours you WILL get hammered if you don't prep it right. The guy was offended after saying "there is no place at ZCON for my car" --- which was TOTALLY untrue! I suggested he enter in Daily Driver, or Peoples Choice. That offended him because at local Concurs he's placed higher... And HE THINKS his car is more than just a daily driver, and in HIS opinion is one of the best examples in the USA.

With a first try garage paint job.

I suggested he's what this thread's OP grows into when they get older!
:frown

61 - 77 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.