ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1983 280zx. I recently has the thermostat and radiator replaced. The car is still running hot. For those familiar with the digital dash, my temp gauge has 4 lines when the car has gone less than 1/4 mile. It runs at 6 or 7 lines. This can't be normal. It only runs hot when in gear. I can idle it all day. Any ideas.

· Registered
2,284 Posts
Hi Linda------------The digital dash is known for its inaccuracies. For example, I'm driving my '83 280ZX to work this week, and yesterday noticed that the speedometer was registering just the last digit. The gas gauge has a mind of its own also, showing both the main gauge reading and the 1/4 tank yellow display. Since your problem with the temp is only showing up under load, I would suspect a bogus reading. Normally, overheating problems occur with more frequency and intensity when the car is moving slowly or idling. Yours seems to be doing the opposite.

If you don't have any other symptoms of overheating such as steam from the radiator cap or overflow, I would say that the gauge or temp sensor is faulty. BTW, in mid-summer heat here in S. Mississippi, my car runs five lines when fully warmed up. I think six or seven lines isn't all that hot anyway. Hope this helps!

Roadman

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.