ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One small problem I have with my Z is it sometimes pops out of first gear. If I'm going through a parking lot in first, then let off the gas a little it pops itself back into neutral.

I can live with it, but is this a sign of some larger problem? Will it start doing this in other gears, or could I eventually lose first completely? I just want to make sure I'm not going to compound my problem by letting it go.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
> One small problem I have with my Z is it
> sometimes pops out of first gear. If I'm
> going through a parking lot in first, then
> let off the gas a little it pops itself back
> into neutral.

> I can live with it, but is this a sign of
> some larger problem? Will it start doing
> this in other gears, or could I eventually
> lose first completely? I just want to make
> sure I'm not going to compound my problem by
> letting it go.

this can be a sign of worse things to come. it is usually caused by a clearance problem. either between the gears themselves or with the shift fork. it can also be caused by the detent system on the shift rods. if it's a clearance problem, it will only get worse and it may cost you more money in the end. you'll probably wind up buying a used tranny. if it's not making any noise yet, you're still in good shape. i worked on a z that lost 5th gear and was popping out of 2nd. reverse was also noisy. the whole problem was caused by the retaining nut coming loose on the output shaft. had it been dealt with right away, it wouldn't have worn anything out. but the tranny was garbage because a lot of miles were put on it after it started making noise.

-casper

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
>had it
> been dealt with right away, it wouldn't have
> worn anything out. but the tranny was
> garbage because a lot of miles were put on
> it after it started making noise.

Nasty! I'll get it checked out. Other than this problem it shifts just fine, no noise or pop-out in any other gear. The only other problem is some slight grinding once in a while shifting into reverse. I have always assumed this was normal since my '85 Sentra did this when I bought it at around 65K miles. I never touched the drivetrain and it still worked perfectly when I sold it at 175K miles.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
> Nasty! I'll get it checked out. Other than
> this problem it shifts just fine, no noise
> or pop-out in any other gear. The only other
> problem is some slight grinding once in a
> while shifting into reverse. I have always
> assumed this was normal since my '85 Sentra
> did this when I bought it at around 65K
> miles. I never touched the drivetrain and it
> still worked perfectly when I sold it at
> 175K miles.
My car sometimes has a similar problem when I'm burning out in 1st gear at around 6.5K rpm's, sometimes it will just make a big clunk and pop out of first gear. This is no surprise to me because I've already gone through one r180 diff, a few u-joints, and one half shaft with my built motor, and the fact that my tranny is the original 4-speed with 225,000 miles, it's very tough, I don't expect any more out of it than what it does now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.