ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is my problem and its pissing me off....
they other night I was driving thru a parking lot and the charge light came one
as it got brighter all the lights came on door seat belts fuel and anyother you can think of
well all but the test light the one thats under the MPH that checks all the oil water and lights
now if I ran it over 3K the lights would go off but under that they would come back on
now I gun it and hit the brakes pretty hard and it goes away the next day after about 4 hours of driving the charge light comes on again but only that one light but now I can't get it to go away
it runs great starts up fine and I can floor it and it runs great even up to 100MPH

now if it was the alternator it would not beable to run like that right? if I hit the gas it would not run right
or maybe Im wrong the only thing I did before this happened is the FL turn signal burned out 3 days before that I just fixed that today with a new light and also the day that it happened I put new 4" speakers in the dash I did move the dash around maybe somethings grounding and its taking power from the battery
or maybe my alternator has gone but then again why is the light going on and off....

also after driving it and leaving it for 5 mins when I start it up it dies unless I give it gas and keep it at 2K+ then after 10-20 secs it would be fine

one more thing even with the light on I killed a Talen "if thats spelled right" hehe feels great

sorry for this being so long
thanks

P.S its a 81 280ZX Turbo

Jeff 280ZXT

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: **** Car! my charge light comes on and others.

My friend had this problem in his 300zx the diode in the alternator was bad. He drove like this for awhile then the alternator finally quit. Sam 75 280z

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

but if it was the alternator would the car run bad if I floored it when all the lights were on? I went over 100
no problem and did he have to replace the whole thing or can you just replace the one diode?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

Jeff, your alt produces AC current (+12vAND-12V)the diode simply cut's the - half out of the final output. A diode can be purchased at radioshack for about 10 cents, and you can solder it in. Without a multimeter, however, who knows if it's bad? I would wager, though that you're alternator is definitally the culpret. Take it to pep boys, and they'll test it for ya' for free!-Lynn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.