Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
im in california and i recently failed the smog test. i called up a mechanic from craigslist and he told me that it is the CAT. Well I was wondering if he is correct. I recently replaced the O2 sensor. Is a CAT difficult to install?

Thanks

·
Registered
297 Posts
CAT is catalytic convertor. no, it's not difficult at all. there are four 10mm(i think) bolts holding the heatshield on from above, and four 14mm bolts holding the cat to the exhaust piping. simply unscrew and remove. you may want to get new gaskets on both sides if the old ones are worn

edit: if you really don't know much at ALL about cars, and I suspect you don't, the catalytic convertor is right smack under the middle of your car. use a creeper unless you like dirty shirt backs.

Post Edited (Aug 29, 5:27pm)

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
hahaha, I love it when someone says "simply unscrew and remove"
because you know thats how it always works :) specially when you're talking about exhaust parts on a 20 year old car!! yeah "simply unscrew and remove" that will happen!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah Simply unscrew and remove requires the blowtorch, bolt cutters, C4, 5 gallons of WD40 and a how to cuss properly while you are under your car manual LOL!!!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Unscrew and remove my a$s!!!!! I used some of the aformentioned tools above (excepet for C4) and cussed a whole lot and nothing worked.

Finally I used an angle grinder with two different length blades. Sucker cut the bolts right off in ten minutes! Wonderful little investment.....$20. Pick one up at Sears if you ever see one, they are a timesaver for sure!

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
modified85z
you're not kidding when we replaced my exsaust we used everything you said...minus the C4 :)
tourch and bolt cutters are a MUST

·
Registered
102 Posts
lol yeah i went thru that my self had a leak at the back of the cat and had to replace the seals and reclamp it and use all of those tools i couldnt get any c4 mind you but i was sure looking

·
Registered
572 Posts
Don't remind me! First I tried vise grip pliers, nothing. Torque wrench, nada. Used a special set of sockets that I had for stripped bolts, nope!

Pulled out the heavy artillery with the bolt cutters, a monkey wrench, and that wonderful torch till it was cherry red...........zilch! Finally borrowed that $20 little angle grinder from my Dad that we used to cut sheets of metal for hurricane shutters a couple of years back. Cut those bolts off like a knife through butter!

Went out and bought one right afterwards!!!!!! I wish I would've thought of C4 but then again, maybe propane could've worked just as good!!!! ;-)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I re-built my Engine 86 300zx Turbo Two years ago.... Passed California Smog..... Drove 3500 Miles on her the last two Years........ Runs the same....

I replaced Plugs, wires, Cap,, then.... Timing belts, gasgets, kept All the sensors the same..

I checked and replaced a Few Vacuum lines.......
and the Guy doesn't Pass me......

Says Possible O2 sensor.........

I think the whole thing has been a Racket.......... I think they want everybody to run New cars...

I'll have to go back, and Check o2 Sensor if it is Possible... I did replace it two years ago....

Cat is still the Original .....

any other Suggestions...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Checked the ECU Codes...everyhthing is fine..... Only thing changed was the Timing,,,, from 22 to 18 BTDC ....... aand put in some new Selected Vacuum Lines...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.