ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 78 280z, and I just read that it only has 135 hp, and a comp ratio of 8.3:1. No NO I raced two cars a 850 i and a camaro and couldn't pull away from either one. I heard that the pistons have a 10+cc dish in them, and also heard that 79 and latter non-turbos have flat tops. I need to raise comp! I heard I can get a latter head 240-260 and raise it but how much I want to get close as I can to 10:1 I also plan on running a cam, header and 2 1/2 exaust. I need help! I thought about running turbo, but thought not, know how much it cost to set up. I thought just mill the head and put cam tower shims, but I don't know how much I am waiting for the how to modify your nissan ohc but it hasn't came yet, And they say it might not since it is out of print. I know that the book will probably answer my questions, But I have no book and might not ever find one. SO if anybody has the book and/or can give me some info on My question, I'm very desperate. If anybody has any performance parts economicaly priced I'm interested. I can't spend to much getting married in july, and would like to use the car for a get away?!
thanks for any help
jp

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: can't stand it any more please help</b>

P-79 block, flat-top pistons, and use the N-42 head with the big valves and you should have a fast car! Make sure to get cam, for fuel injection, headers, exhaust, Bigger throttle body, and MSD. You should be spanking mustangs with ease. Also, swap to a 3.90:1 R200 diff.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys for your help. I still want to no instead of going to a differ block if i could just put 81-83 flattops in to raise comp I can do head work so I would easily port the head and combustion chambers and put a 3 angle comp. valve job. thanks again
jp

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had a 78' years ago, in which we shaved the head (0.0040) during a head gasket replacement, put a long tube header and 2.5 exhaust, put on a 75' (non-EGR) intake manifold/75' AFM to throttle body boot and ported the intake runners. This increased the compression a bit and let the engine breath very well on an otherwise stock motor (no smog testing back then). If you do a complete rebuild, you can also increase displacement to 3.0 liters with an LD28 crank, etc (lot of $). I would advise against a big cam in a FI car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.