ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ok ok... i got a fix it ticket for my intake right... but mans.. now they got me for not passing smog.. right... soo what can i do to get it to pass?? what are the things i would probably need to change and how much will it cost? also my friend said that it was running too rich.... how can i fix that?

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Hopefully, you'll get some good suggestions, but I'd like to offer one that might also help (and won't hurt). Go to an auto parts retailer and look in the gas treatment area. You may find a can of gas additive that is supposed to help reduce your emissions enough to pass. Several people have reported good things about it. Read and follow instructions. No joke -- it works.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
How is your smog test calibrated.

Our air care test they check NOx, CO and HC. This is done at idle and at a sustained speed of 50 klm/hr over a certain time period. Usually if you fail it will be on 1 or 2 readings unless your engine is totally hooped or you you have major emmission controll problems. If you only failed on a couple of things it could just mean things need to be adjusted a little. Things that can cause bad readings are wrong timing, too lean or too rich mixture. Engine not hot enough, leaking vacuum hoses, stuck EGR or PCV or burning excessive oil. I have a 240 with tripple webbers and absolutly no emissions equipment at all and it will pass with a stock cam. I have had a real go of it lately, trying every trick I know to get it through (and I know a lot of them) with out putting the stock cam back in. I finally bit the bullet and put it back in today. If it doesn't snow tomorrow I'll go through the test @ $24.00 a hit it gets expensive but I can't get insurance till it passes.
Find out why it failed and on what readings and I can give you a better idea what to try. I would assume that your test and our test are more or less the same. Ours is apparently modled after the one in California.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have 76 also...

And it ran super-SICK rich until I replaced the fuel injector connectors. I'd say check any and all engine connections you can, and look for disconnected vacuum hoses.
Nathan

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok here's the prob.... max HC you can get is 220 my meassure 451.....ohh thass for idle...... max CO for idle is 2.00 my meassure is 4.14.... max CO for 2500 rpm is 1.70 meassure is 2.84...... can any one tell me how to fix this?? also says i have a fuel leak at my regulator... but it only happens like every other time... arghs...whats the cheapest but fastest way to fix it...?? thanks guys!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Replacing the O2 probably wouldn't hurt - they're cheap.

Check your plugs and wires - a misfire will drive up the readings.

Check electrical contacts for corrosion and vacuum hoses for leaks.

What do you idle at (rpm)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.