ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking my 81ZX to the guy who is doing the body work. Anyway, I can't get the gas cap off and it is extremely low on petrol. I turn the key the the right which unlocks it, but when I turn the cap, it just keeps turning like one of those child proof tylenol bottles. I know this probably sounds stupid, but I've never seen any gas cap like this before. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try locking the cap and then turning it. I think the way the lock works is that you have to lock the knob to the cap to remove it. When unlocked the knob will turn free so the cap cannot be removed.

> I'm taking my 81ZX to the guy who is doing
> the body work. Anyway, I can't get the gas
> cap off and it is extremely low on petrol. I
> turn the key the the right which unlocks it,
> but when I turn the cap, it just keeps
> turning like one of those child proof
> tylenol bottles. I know this probably sounds
> stupid, but I've never seen any gas cap like
> this before. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Liquid Wrench, My Man.

> Try locking the cap and then turning it. I
> think the way the lock works is that you
> have to lock the knob to the cap
> to remove it. When unlocked the
> knob will turn free so the cap
> cannot be removed.

I've had the same problem with my '82 ZX coupe recently, and with my '94 Kawasaki crotch rocket. It seems that the aerated, ethanol-based napalm some states require to be sold in place of gasoline does a marvelous job of drying out tumbler mechanisms in locks as well as engine gaskets.

What finally broke both my locks loose was a massive dose of Liquid Wrench Super Penetrant combined with some gentle but repeated turning. Shots of WD-40 and light penetrating oil wouldn't do the trick. Be careful not to snap the key off in the lock because that can be a major headache if you don't have a very thin pair of tweezers like ones that come on Swiss Army knives.

Once I was able the break the gas cap locks loose I disassembled them and packed them with grease just to stave off the next seizure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.