ZCar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently bought an 87 z31 5 speed N/A less than a week ago and have been eagerly learning about the vehicle but can't seem to find a solid answer to my fuel issues. I have an analog dash in which the gas light is always illuminated. The main fuel gauge seems to reach empty when I fill it up but the car will only accept roughly 5 gallons of fuel. I have read something about a secondary reserve tank but am still clueless where to look first. Thanks!

·
Registered
575 Posts
If I used my fuel gauge as an indicator to fill up when indicating empty, I would still have almost 1/2 tank of fuel. Mine has been like this sine the mid-1990's. The Z31's are notorious for having defective fuel gauge sending units. If you need it, you should replace it. If I ignore the empty reading, the gauge goes almost 1.5 inches below empty. And full never reads full. I did find that bitching betty never tells me fuel level is low until it goes way below empty. So all I do is fill it up and calculate 20MPG and after 300 miles or so refill it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts