Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone

I'm looking for some advice, feedback on a question regarding installing a PCV on my Cannon intake manifold. Presently, I am running triple Weber 40 DCOE carburetor on a Cannon intake manifold and I have the crankcase venting through a filter into the atmosphere. This is not ideal.

The easiest option for me is to drop a threaded hole into the balance tube between number three and four intake runners. This way I could install the stock PCV at that threaded hole and utilize the stock crankcase to PCV hose. I would block off the small tube that is in parallel with the larger crankcase tube.

My question is, would the gases that are vacuumed out of the crankcase significantly upset the synchronization of all six intake runners? Would the cylinder's, (three and four), air/fuel ratio be obviously affected by this action? I could design plumbing to vent the crankcase equally across all six intake runners, but is it worth the time and expense? I look forward to any replies.

Thanks, Tim Whitney

·
Registered
15,301 Posts
some advice

you may wish to make an oil/vapor separator to go between the two to keep the sludge out of the intake.

It is simply a sealed can with a baffle inside and and inlet and outlet.

I have seen stainless steel scouring pads used as a rust proof mesh baffle

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
It will affect your mixture unless evenly distributed, by how much would need to be tested. I'm using the pcv system from summit that uses a one way valve hooked to your exhaust. The kit contains 2 since it is for a V8 so you get an extra.

Matt

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Matt

Do you happen to have a Summit p/n or mfg p/n? How does the system work? Does the exhaust flow create a venturi effect that draws the crankcase gases out? When you put a vacuum gauge on the PCV system, what do you measure? Is it anywhere near the vacuum you get at the intake manifold?

Thanks, Tim

·
Super Moderator
41,005 Posts
one is in the block...

there's a separator in the block, but a larger one to deal with the added carry over from hard running might be welcome.
As long as you keep it a sealed system.
Ask Gearhead what happens when even a little thing like threaded connections leak air in a triple manifold and run a single cylinder lean at 7K...

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Tony brings up a good point. The last thing you want is a vacuum leak. For my peace of mind, I ran both a pressure and vacuum test on my system before installing it. (Email me if you want the procedure). The best tip I can pass on for a system such as this is don't use cheap fittings from a hardware store.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.