Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.geocities.com/~z-car/specs/.

According to that link.... the 280z weighs MORE than the 280zx.... can that be?
It also seems that the 280z is ALOT longer than 240z and 260z... I thought they were about the same. Are those the specs for the 2+2... seems like they are. Anybody have the specs for the two seater 280z's?

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I have a hard time believing the

280Z weighs more than the ZX. But the 280Z is longer than the 240 because of the cow catcher bumpers. If you check out the wheelbase measurements they are all the same (first gen).

·
Registered
596 Posts
The figures for the ZX are correct.. Dunno about the #'s listed for the 1st gen, but I can say that it is a COMMON misconception that the ZX is an overweight dog.. In fact, I'd pit my '83 N/A against ANY unmodified previous gen, with my A/C running, and stereo cranking!! heheh.. (that should garnish some response..)
..bring it on.. ;-)

·
Registered
596 Posts
..I mean..

Make that "garner" some response.. ;-) <grabbing another beer> Gotta stand up for the ZX in an otherwise 1st gen centric board!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yo, I'm up to the challenge with my stock (appearing) 240Z! Well, if it weren't all torn apart and at the paint booth that is. She is gonna look as good as she runs!

You need to understand the 240Z is a pure performance car, without the cumbersome weight of luxury components. It's a brawler, a street fighter, a rabble rouser, a ....secret lover....... ahem, what was I saying..?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hah hah!

Well it's true that the 240z is all performance. but it really depends on the car... in anycase a boen stock turbo zx will prolly whopp on a z simply because Nissan supplemented for the way with bigger displacement and forced induction...

anyway.....

I still cant understand how the 280z can weigh more..... how?
can someone please explain this?
and I guess the 280z's energy abdorbing bumpers can add to the length... so if you were to take them off... would they be the same?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hit & Miss

Well as for the weight specs, i could see it happening. Well me being a 280zx owner my 280zx is pure performance as well. I got it, and it had no features, power nothing, not t-tops, and a strong engine underneath the hood. That 0-60 time is way out of wack, i do 0-60 in the 6-7 sec range, i should measure it. Really there are alot of factors to add into these cars, my 280zx has rack & pinion steering, and no power steering, or AC to waste my power, and AC just drains power. So my 280zx is just like the 240z, just a little different, all the z's are good cars, it just depends on the owner.

-Emir

·
Registered
600 Posts
Re: Hit & Miss

No denying that the ZX is a more sophisticated and faster car than the 240Z. I am simple folk and as such, I enjoy the simplicity of my 240Z. No smog equipment, no electronics, no EFI, no back seat available! no side impact beams, no seat belt retractors, no cassette or cd player, etc.... It is an engine with two seats along for the ride!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: It's not the car.....

The zx's power house comes from L28ET.
of course the 3.9 rear end and five speed tranny helps.

but I'm a fan of the 240z's "old school" look and approach.
but I'm going for the best of both worlds.... ;)

but the 280z seems.. bigger than the 240z.... that' what I'm trying to figure out.
Is it just me or does it seem bigger bodied? (except for the bumpers)
I also dont want to loose a the weight advantage if I go with a 280z.... so I want to know if that's an accurate wieght.

so umm...

are the body sizes between the 240z and 280z similar?

·
Registered
600 Posts

240Z and 280Z have the same body styles and dimensions. 280Z has thicker sheet metal though, in addition to the large bumpers and internal bracing. Even the interior plastic is thicker (so I have read). It all adds up.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts

The trade off of course is a more solid, stiff, vibration free body, and longer wearing materials, along with better rust protection. If you take a 280 and a 240 that have both lived the exact same life, the 280 will probably look less worn inside and out.

Also, to make a 240 really perform, you have to do stuff that adds weight, such as body bracing, R200, bigger wheels/tires, anti-roll bars --> there's another 20 pounds accounted for in the 280.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts

where did you get the manual rack and pinion setup for your car. I would love to get rid of that power steering pump on my car if I can.

·
Registered
426 Posts

The 1980 FSM covers both the manual (R&P) and power steering, so I'm assuming manual steering came from the factory. It seems like most have power, so it might be hard to find.

Dave

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
Yes, a stock 280ZX is lighter than a stock 280Z, but if jerk off those huge bumpers it'll probably be the other way around. I wonder how much less a Deluxe 280ZX(power nothing, no AC?) weighs than a GL 280ZX(power everything). My car(1980 280ZX GL) weighs 2700 pounds with no gas, no people and no spare tire, jack or tools in it, I guess thats at least 2850+ average driving weight(me=150lbs plus what ever 4 or 5 gallons of gas weighs). I'd like to see someone weigh a completely striped(nothing but the uni body and quarter panels) a 240Z, a 280Z, and a 280ZX. It would be intresting to see how much more the the 280s actulay weigh on a level playing field.

And for the record the 280Z(2 seater) and 240Z are the same car, with a few minor differences like, huge bumpers thicker steal, plastic like others said. Plus many other things that add to the weight like AC, R200 rear-diff, slightly bigger engine internals, the extra gear in the tranny, Fuel injection stuff, and I'm sure there's other things I just cant think of them. So the all the 280Z is really a more solid more refined 240Z.

Justin T

·
Registered
905 Posts
A few posts got off topic here but this is the skinny. The 240, 260, 280, are all the same unibody and design with a few modifications as the years progressed. Sheet metal thickness is the same, OK. The difference in weight is MOSTLY due to the additional, government mandated 5mph bumpers. On the 1st gen Zs, these were an afterthought add-on. With the 2nd gen Z, they were integrated into the design of the car, eliminating some excess weight associated with them. As the years progressed with each generation,weight was added for comfort and convenience items. There are no magic things Nissan did, no thicker sheet metal or junk like that just more stuff was added to the car.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: What it is....

Well... I completely understand how the 280z can weigh more than the 240z.
What really boggles my mind is the fact that it wieghs MORE than the ZX.....
I suppose the GL ZX probably weighs morethen the 280z though.......
maybe that link refers to the DLX.... and y'know I think that's the weight of the 2+2 modes of the 280z....

anyway...
so ALL first gens share the same unibody then?
cool.
I just always thought that the 280z seemed more roomey then the 240z.
If not, then I'm going to go for the 240z. I want a 12 second car and every pound counts. ^_^

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
FTSzero

If you're looking to make a 12 sec. car, I'd say go with the 240. I'm assuming that you live somewhere where smog laws are present, so the 240 is exempt, thus allowing you a world of possibilites. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: FTSzero

<laughs>
It's the same car with "options".
heh heh...
that's all..

and I live in Florida... I don have smog laws. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.