ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive heard of people using the drain plug as a fuel line outlet. Does anyone know the results of this. Also is the return line big enough? or do I need a bigger line. Thanks....NB

·
Registered
231 Posts
Re: Can I use my 240Z fuel tank for the turbo moto

I am hoping to use my existing 240Z tank with my turbo project as well...BIGJIM has used a 3/8 elbow out of the bottom drain and said it worked fine for him...but others are saying that without baffles in tank and fuel sloshing around there will be trouble with keeping fuel flowing. Another option was to weld a small sump onto the bottom of the tank which has been done by others...think I saw this on Hybridz.com but not sure.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Do you know what the tread size was? did he re-tap it? I tried to look for a coupling, but nobody carried an elbow with that thread size.

·
Registered
231 Posts

Sorry, dont have the particulars yet ...but BIGJIM posts regularly..think he is at [email protected]...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

Ok, I am running off the bottom of my dran plug to supply my turbo engine. I dont like it, to be upfront. I get to much fuel slosh around corners especially under a half tank full of fuel. You can actually here the fuel pump starving for fuel. Another option you can go with would be a remote fuel sump that has its own pump. This would prevent starvation to the engine under turns or exceleration. So far it looks like i will be opt. for a different way to get fuel to the engine. Good Luck
Ron240zxt

Ps.. It does scrap over certain speed bumps if your not careful...

·
Registered
327 Posts

I fought this problem for a long time.Even resorting to installing a 280 tank, that was more trouble than it was worth.Finally I took the sender assembly out of a 280zxt tank and took it to a fabricator.After explaining to him what i wanted done he cut a 4inch dia hole in the top of the tank then used a 3inch piece of tubing to recreate the baffle of the 280zxt piece.I also used new tubing for the feed and return line in the tank.So they exit in a slightly different place then the factory lines.3/8 for both.I used the factory return line for a while,but when i had a fuel delivery problem i ran a new 3/8 hard line(you can get the tubing from Jegs or Summit) and used the old supply line for return.This has solved most of my problems,but the guy really did not understand what i wanted and ended up causing a vapor lock like problem in the tank so make sure your fabricator understands fuel systems.With the unbaffled factory tank less than 1/2 tank of fuel will give you all sorts of delivery problems during hard driving.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks for the responses guys. How about using a seperate race type fuel cell? mounted either inside or outside. do I need to look for a specific one, or will they all do the job? Thanks

·
Registered
327 Posts

There where two reasons i decided against these.The size is all wrong for a Z if you are talking about the premaid plastic ones(they are more square,a z needs more of a flat tank)and two they either don't have a provision for a sending unit, or they use a GM style that will not be compatible with your factory guage.There are of course companys that will make you one from a pattern such as your factory tank.I've seen company's doing this in aluminum,and stainless steel.Definetly not a low budget item,the quote i got was around 600 bucks without them seeing the factory tank,maybe more once they had it for a pattern.The only other option is to try to find a in tank sump/fuel pump unit out of a 300 or 280zxt and modify it to fit in your tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.