ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Had problems with my regulator, in my 240Z, over charging my battery. A friend at a parts shop gave me a used toyota regulator, I don't know what Toyota its from but he says it works and its 12V.

I'll try and fit it over the next coming weeks as my car is in storage. I have to check the pins first on my Nissan solid state one, this one has a 4 pin rectangular connector.

If it fits should all be ok? Since the voltages are the same?

Or should I stay clear of using a Toyota part?

Thanks.

· Registered
1,153 Posts
Other than the part being free, why would you want to use it? I would steer clear of using something that requires modifying your original wiring, unless it was a clear improvement over the OEM part.

To that end, how could the toyota regulator be any better than the Nissan unit? As far as regulators go, they either work or they don't. If yours is broken, replace it. If you aren't sure, do the checks and find out. If it checks out, do the maintenance that allows your alt to work right.

Kludging a toyota regulator is not really a good idea. If it turns out that your fix didn't, you will have trouble getting further help from folks once you mention that you are using a non-standard regulator.

One last discouraging note. Have you noticed how many pins your OEM regulator has on it? My count shows 6. You might have some trouble regaining your charging functionality with the 4 pin unit you want to use.

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Zuber,

My mistake its a 6 pin connector.

I agree, I'd much rather use the stock item, I was just wondering if it works since I got it free.

Voltage regulators for datsun cars aren't exactly cheap in England or that easy to source.

The question was supposed to discover wether there are many differences between them and if not I'd use it.

Thanks for your advice.

· Registered
1,153 Posts
Too bad you aren't in the US. I'd give you one of my regulators for nothing. Shipping is probably terrible, though. Hope you find something local. You might investigate if any of your local junkyards have any old Datsun pickups, or similar old Datsun. They should be pretty much the same.

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Zuber,

Thanks for your really kind offer!!

Sometimes I wish I was living in the States! I drive around for years and never see any Z's! Only at the Z Club meets, there are very few of us. There's as much chance as seeing a pink elephant cross the road then seeing a 240Z, there are about its just there rare and only come out for a couple months a year, due to our weather.

I'd pay you shipping if you were serious!!

THANKS.

· Registered
107,597 Posts
it's the same way over here with mini's. i'm trying to find one now for a reasonable price. some guy actually has 2 on ebay for (get this) $12,500!!!!!!! i know you can buy them in new zealand for like $600 in great shape!! the only problem is shipping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.