ZCar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

During I have a last production month 240z that I am currently restoring. Here are the pictures of the thermostat housing.

As you can see there is some kind of sensor at the top of it. Does anyone know what sensor it is? One of the wires broke off, so I need to replace it. When I tried looking for one online, there is no information about this kind of top, or what that sensor is. I looked at other tops, and they seem to not have an insert for this sensor at all. The only place I found that had a similar top was one ebay listing and ZCarSource, but again no mention of the sensor.

Can I just replace the top with an early 240z top? (One that does not have an insert for the sensor) Or does anyone know where I could source this sensor? Do I even need it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
looks like a water temp switch, prob has to do with emission controls. Handy to have that as it could be used on later models that need the extra sensor hole. Sourcing a new sensor could be a problem, IIRC those switches are expensive if you find one. If you wanted originality then you need to get a manual for your year and find out what it does. Its likely that some PO deleted a lot of the emission stuff that it was used to control.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
looks like a water temp switch, prob has to do with emission controls. Handy to have that as it could be used on later models that need the extra sensor hole. Sourcing a new sensor could be a problem, IIRC those switches are expensive if you find one. If you wanted originality then you need to get a manual for your year and find out what it does. Its likely that some PO deleted a lot of the emission stuff that it was used to control.
Thank you! I was able to actually find it. (Motorsport! Water Temperature Switch, 74 260Z - The Z Store! Nissan-Datsun 240Z 260Z 280Z 280ZX 300ZX ( Z31 Z32 ) 350Z 370Z Parts) You are right, it's an emission control system related temperature switch. Since I am eliminating the emissions control system, ill be replacing the outlet with a early 240z one, and then figuring out the wiring harness. I am putting a new exhaust manifold and triple Webers on the car, so the emission control system will be getting eliminated anyway.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,319 Posts
It's actually not mentioned anywhere in the service manuals, I checked all 240z and 260z ones. Thank you anyway!
Dang. Seems like you're getting good info from those familiar with them....

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
hang on to that top T stat housing, may come in handy some day, like adding electric fans etc....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts