ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, I have got some power loss probs going on, and I don't know where to start. I read my timing, it showed I was at 15 btdc, but I read on twin turbo net that uh, you could read it wrong? By looking at the marks at the wrong angle? What are the chances I did this, and read the hole **** thing wrong? I'm going to buy a multimeter tomorrow, and test some other things.....this car is dang finicky, if you ask me.....:)

1,096 Posts
Do you have a miss? Need a few more details on the power issue. One thing I would check is the compression in each cylinder this will also give you the opportunty to visually veiw the plugs. Hope this helps a little let us know what happens.

Ryan

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
This issue you are referring to I believe is called "parallex viewing" -- means looking at an angle and loosing accuracy.

Error is not going to be that great on these cars - what you got is close enough even if off by 1 degree or so. Wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

Yes - a digital multimeter will also help, good for adjusting the TPS, etc.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, everything was fine until about 2 months ago, and then I start having sputtering and hesitation when I push the gas in, and also like my turbos are a little sluggish, they respond slower, but still boost to 9.5 on my gauge, and I do have ample power, but not as much as before, and its noticeable after 3rd gear, pulls are considerably weaker after second, even 1st and 2nd are not as powerful as before....I dont know where to begin, I ran some codes, and found nothing....I'm stumped!!!

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
Change the spark plugs lately? Cleaned the air filter lately? Got good gas? Done a boost leak check? Got a vcauum leak somewhere? Many things it could be.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh, another thing, I get a lot of hesitation and stumbling when the car barely starts to warm up, but when completely cold, and I drive it immediately, it doesn't hesitate at all! Once the car has been driven for about 20 minutes, then I almost get no hesitation at all...odd...

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Well - have you pulled your ECU codes to see if anything shows up? While doing it I'd also run a check on the o2 sensors using the built-in diagnostic - car needs to be warmed up for that test. I don't think this issue is the O2's - but I'd test 'em anyway.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, I'll check the 02's, but I've ran codes already, and I get 55....dude this car is something else! I don't know wether to sell it or fix her up...would a faulty MAS cause this and not throw the check engine light??? before this car I had a 95 mustang gt, and the MAS was faulty, and I had similiar problems like the z, low mpg, sputtering, sluggish engine, and hesitation....replaced that, and wow...like a new car...could this be the same thing, even though I get no check engine light?

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
I know the ECU coolant sensor can have an issue and not show up on the codes. Not sure about the MAF ? --but this issue doesn't sound like that. MAF issue would show up under other conditions too.

Use the digital meter to test the resistance on the coolant sensor - something pretty easy to check and you can inspect that connector at the same time (for corrosion).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.